Corsair 750tx psu cables in antec 1200 case

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008
i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with the corsiar 750tx psu and the antec 1200 for cable management, i want to make sure that the cables are long enough to rout behind the motherboard, any help will be great thanks :)

I have a different Corsair power supply in my Coolermaster HAF 932 case which is also a full tower case. The psu is mounted in the bottom case. I was able to run the small motherboard power cable behind the motherboard tray up to the connection on the top of the motherboard without any problem.

The Antec Twelve Hundred also uses a bottom mounted power supply. The psu is mounted immediately below the motherboard just like mine so you should be okay.

In the unlikely event a psu power cable is short, you can always purchase an 8 inch extension cable for a few dollars from online vendors. There are extension cables for 4, 6, 8, 20, and 24 pin power cables. Here is a link to a Newegg web page with a variety of extension cables:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000001&Description=power%20extension%20cables&name=Cables

Will depend on your MoBo

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/full-tower-case,2105-5.html

"Of course, the Twelve Hundred’s design isn’t faultless. Connecting the 8-pin auxiliary power connector to the Asus board required an uncomfortable stretch. Any chassis vendor forcing power supply installations at the bottom of their cases should include an extension, as Cooler Master does with its HAF."

I bought mine at

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7562/cab-114/12_8_Pin_EPS_Extension_Cable_-_8_Pin_to_44_Pin_CB-8M-8F.html?id=oIRJ5DzM&mv_pc=513

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

my motherboard will be a asrock x58 extreme

wahjahka

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2008

thanks for the link, going to check it out see what i can find

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
PSU is to be placed upside down in the 1200 and therefore the cable will be further away from the m/b. In addition, the 1200 is very high(22/80mm higher than HAF932/HAF922) which make cables even harder to reach the top. Don't get Antec case if you want to have a 11" high end graphic card in you PC and better cable management.

HAF922 can even hold a 12" GFX with much better cable managment, larger volume(1.12 times as the Antec 1200), much lower noise(check reviews on NewEgg for 922 and 1200) and much cheaper price!

p.s. I have just owned the HAF922 for a week and it already gather a visible amount of dust on the filter already due to its "HIGH AIR FLOW, HAF". In addition, it is not as ugly as it seem to be in pictures. The only drawback is that there's no filter for PSU and it could be fixed by covering the PSU with a pantyhose. Besides, note that some PSUs(such as my RS-550-PCAR-E3) are not able to be mounted upside up due to their fan grill which can be fixed by reversing the fan grill!

andy5174 - Not sure what you mean by a psu being mounted upside down in the 1200. It would be more appropriate to say it is mounted in the bottom rear of the case with the psu fan on top.

The actual problem is the length of power supply cables. There is no international standard for cable length. Some psu's have short cables and some have long cables. It's usually the low budget, low quality psu's that come with short cables.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

Yes, I do mean upside down! There's no ventilation hole at the bottom of the 1200 and therefore the fan need to face up. That's what I mean upside down.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

How do you do that? I don't think most people would have that kind of tool at home. In addition, it's too ugly to have a hole at bottom. It would be great if Antec make the bottom mesh.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
FFS, why can't I edit it.

How do you do that? I don't think most people would have that kind of tool at home. In addition, it's too ugly to have a hole at bottom. It would be great if Antec make it lower, longer and mesh at bottom.

andy5174 - Historically speaking the idea of an opening in the bottom of a case directly below the psu is a brand new concept. Historically the psu fan pulled in warm air from the inerior of the case and exhausted it out the rear panel. It didn't matter whether the psu was mounted in the top or the bottom. The new cases with openings in the bottom should have the psu mounted fan side down over the opening "only" if there is sufficent ventilation, air flow, and cooling for the other components.

Openings can be cut with a dremel tool and trimmed with a nibbler. I do case mods so I have an auger and hole saw combination that I attach to an electric drill.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
yeah, what you said are all true. However, it's been proved that the efficiency increase significantly with cooler air intake

BTW, you can make more room at the bottom by cutting a sufficiently thick book into 4 pieces and put them under each LEG of the case. That's what I did and all I needed were a knife, care and 2 minutes.

08:57 AM in Scottsdale (Phoenix area), Arizona, USA.

Cutting a book into 4 pieces???? For case mods I replace the stock case legs with taller ones that I purchase at my local hardware store. Custom case legs are available from case mod vendors. For my own pc I built a custom stand a few years ago.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

I did think of that, but many things sold in the USA and other countries are not available in NZ.

Since there are only 4 million people in NZ, retailers here have to make the prices extremely high to make profits from their very few customers and therefore the upgrade cycle of most people here are very long. Hence, the retailers usually have a lot of OLD products left and so they don't want to introduce new products so that they can sell their extremely OLD products at IMMENSELY high price.