Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
This is my mobo: GA-EP35-DS3R

http://www.giga-byte.ca/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2743

I had to move and received a new case I was considering switching to if I don't build a 2nd system. The case is an Antec 300.

The current case is an Antec Solo. The power supply is the Corsair HX520. I discovered the exhaust fan stopped working and I'm not sure the front fans are working so I shut down the computer.

It turns out the power (LED) wires were disconnected and I took the rest out. I put the mobo box and manual away so I have to find them. I need to look at the diagram to reconnect. But, one of the LED headers came off (white and green wires) so I'm not sure where to get a new one. I can go to a Source (i.e. Radio Shack) or Electronics store to get a generic one? Anyway, I looked at the power connectors for the exhaust fan and couldn't find a problem but one of the wires' headers came off so there are two wires' ends loose.

How can I asses this? I didn't have a problem previous so I don't know how this happened but somehow some of the connections came loose.

I don't have any diagrams or pictures so can anyone with experience with the electronics side of motherboard connections comment?

I'll try it myself and I'd like to avoid taking it in to a shop but I also don't want to short anything out either.

bilbat

Splendid
What, exactly, is the status of your connectors?

If the metal pin connectors simply came out of the headers, are still attached to the wires, and you have the headers, I can instruct on how to return them to functionality... If the headers are gone, or the tiny metal connectors are severed, I could drop a couple in the mail for you, and instruct on how to reinstall...

BTW, your manual is here:
http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep35-(d)s3l_e.pdf

Bill

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Thanks, bilbat!
I checked the manual. I think that is for a different board? I have one switch that is gone? Is it called a switch? It's the black connector that binds the two wires together. One is Power, HDD etc. The one that goes with the green and white wires is gone.

This is what is there:
blue - reset
green - Power
green - 2nd one for????
red - HDD LED
Hey, I just looked at the mobo and the above which I have doesn't match what's in the manual?????

Edit: Okay, I just discovered it's a Power LED connector switch that is missing. How can I get one of these?!?

bilbat

Splendid
I checked the manual. I think that is for a different board?
There are three revisions available of that MOBO - 1.0, 2.0, and 2.1; you should be able to tell here:
142m.jpg

bilbat

Splendid
The rev level gives me your pin layout, should we need it...

The manual for your case, unfortunately, gives neither a color code, nor a color picture, so I'm not able to, at this pint give clear instructions, and don't yet clearly understand your problem... The little black 'tab-shaped' thingies that hold the wires are simply called 'connectors'; the pins they plug into on the MOBO are, well, 'pins', with the row(s) of them called, collectively, a 'pin header'...

You have listed some individual wire colors; for me to help, it would be best if you give me a list of your connectors by their names (stamped or silk-screened on the connector), and both wire colors, thusly:

'HDD LED':
red & black

'PWR SW':
green & black

etc...

You state:
Edit: Okay, I just discovered it's a Power LED connector switch that is missing. How can I get one of these?!?
...by 'switch', I assume you mean the little black connector - but what, precisely, do you mean by 'missing'?? Do you mean there are no power LED wires in the case; that there are wires with tiny brass endpieces on them, that have come loose from the connector body, and you have the body; that there are wires with tiny brass endpieces on them, that have come loose from the connector body, and the body is missing in action; or, that the connector and brass ends have broken off compleely, and all you have is wire ends, with no tiny brass endpieces at all?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

Yes, wire ends. The black connector has come off and there are just two wires left (green/white) with the brass ends. I looked at both my manual for the case and mobo and I concluded it's a Power LED connector that came off.

I guess this just gives me an option for seeing lights when the power is on and I think maybe some other features but I have no idea how the connector came off. Some force must be used to have it come off entirely, right? I didn't even mess with those wires or connectors so not sure how that happened.

Anyway, I have had no luck finding a connector let alone the correct connector.

bilbat

Splendid
I'll toss one in the mail, if you'd like - email me at:
bilbat@wi.rr.com
...it's pretty easy to get the little brass 'pin grabbers' back into the connector body; first thig you should do is examine the brass pieces closely - one one side of them, there should be a tiny tab, about in the center, that 'hang off' or 'ramps up' a bit off the body - what this soes is act as a 'locking wedge' to retain the little brass piece inside the black plastic connector body; there are two possibilities: either the little 'ramped up' part got flattened out (i.e., parallel or flat to the main brass body), which caused it to no longer remain 'locked' into the plastic part (in which case it's repairable, by working an X-Acto knife blade carefully behind it, and prying it up a tiny bit, to cause it to lock again); or, the little brass lock had undo force applied to it, and has broken off, leaving a little rectangular opening in the brass body itself, in which case you'll need to replace the whole thing, plastic connector body and brass pin, by soldering on a new one - I can provide the things either way for you...

I think he means the whole set of wires aren't there. The Antec 300 cases, like the 900's, use the LED case fans in place of the power LED that most cases have.

The wires for a power LED are not there, not missing. If fact, if he looks really close, he will notice that there's no power LED, just one for drive activity.

bilbat

Splendid
Jeez! It'd be nice if they mentioned ths somewhere (anywhere!) in their damned documentation; the main 300 manual says:
3. Connect the Power LED connector to the Power LED connector on the motherboard. For LEDs, colored wires are positive (+). White or black wires are negative (–). If the LED does not light up when the system is powered on, try reversing the connection. For more info on connecting LEDs to your motherboard, see your motherboard manual.
...but never says where the wires go! And, after your post, I dl'd and looked at the drawing packet, and, indeed, it shows an HDD light in the switch cluster, but makes no mention of any power LED!

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
In the Gigabyte mobo online manual, I think they call it, 'MSG (Message/Power/Sleep LED, Yellow)' and in the Antec Solo case manual, it's called 'Power LED.'

I think this is the green and white wires which is missing the power connector. There are the brass ends that look okay but need the connector.

The wires are twisted still except near the end.

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

No, the wires are there. I traced them, too and they go to the Antec Solo case switches (or buttons). So, if I get a connector and connect it to the front panel as in the manual, I would have the Power LED lights working. I think the Gigabyte manual calls them Status LED. Don't quote me on that but it's the only one that's left that isn't accounted for.

Edit: I think it looks like this except my wire is green (two pin). I just need the connector though?

http://www.directron.com/blueled.html