There is a yellow exclamation point on the audio codec device in device manager

pa1968

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Hello, I am stuck. I don't know what else to do. The device shows with the yellow exclamation point in device manager. But in the directx diagnostic tool, it shows nothing for the sound, no device at all. So, I don't know what to do to get the exclamation point resolved so I can have sound. This is the device: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio Codec Interface. Please help. Thanks.

Peter

pa1968

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Hi, thank you for your reply. Ok, so I downloaded SlimDrivers. I ran the scan. Now it is saying I have 12 items to update. Should I update each of these items? I ask because I want to be sure before I move forward with it. I dont want to continue to be stuck without volume. So, if that will fix it, I will start that now and complete tonight. What are your thoughts? Should I get started with updating each of the items? Thanks for your help.

Peter

If the Device Manager exclamation symbol is only on the sound card, you don't need to update the other 11 drivers which may only be outdated, not corrupted or missing… so updating them is entirely up to you. The application should show all the installed drivers dates, so that should help you decide. I would only update drivers that are causing problems or those older than 2-3 years. And in case the new drivers should cause trouble (unlikely but possible), you can use the application to restore the previous drivers or from the Device Manager select the Device \ Properties \ Driver \ ”Return to previous driver”

pa1968

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Yes, we have sound over here. Thank you for your help.

I have a different issue maybe you can help me with. I now do not have an internet connection through the same computer that had the sound driver problem. I have 3 computers hooked through the same router. So, I know I have internet, as I am writing this now. But for some reason, that computer is now telling me I lost the internet connection. I have tried unplugging everything, restarting the computer, and nothing has worked. I dont know how to get the internet back on that computer. Can you help me with this? I am going to post this question as well. But since you helped me with the sound driver, I figure you may know what I should do to fix this problem. Either way, thanks for your help.

Peter

This may be able to helps you: From the other 11 drivers the application suggested to update, was the Network adapter driver included? If it was, that driver is what you need to update now... but even if it wasn't included in the SlimDrivers list, go ahead and uninstall the driver in: right click My Computer\Manage\Device Manager\Network Adapters\right click on the network adapter and select Uninstall, Accept and restart the computer... If the driver is not re-installed with the reboot, scan with the SlimDrivers application to install-update the Network Driver. Post back any results... I have some other tricks under the sleeve.

pa1968

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Hi, thanks for the reply, Ok, so I went through got to the device manager and found there is no network adapter icon to click. There is however another device labeled as Other Devices between Monitors and Ports, where the Network Adapte should be. This has a subheading of other PCI bridge device underneath it. Both have a yellow question mark next to them. Should I uninstall this one? Or is there another trick you have to get the network connection back? I appreciate your help. I will wait for your reply before I do anything further. Thanks and look forward to hearing back from you.

Peter

No network adapter means there is no network card adapter driver installed... You have two options...
1. search for the driver manually, download it and execute it.. if it's an exe file it will start to install with a double click and guide you through the rest of the installation... or
2. you can use the application you already have been using, and don’t worry about it being an adware or other kind of malicious application… I have used it and it does exactly what it claims without causing a single problem. What you do need to do is configure it so you can run it, and it doesn’t run when it is programmed to. So go to Start\Run\type msconfig and Enter.. in the Startup Tab, uncheck SlimDrivers, next in the application click on Options and uncheck “Run at Windows startup”, and uncheck “Check for SlimDrivers Updates Automatically”, and also in the Update tab, uncheck “Automatically reboot my computer after updating drivers” .. next restart the computer… it the application adds itself again to the startup tab in msconfig, simply uninstall it when you don’t need it anymore.

The “Other Devices” you see between Monitors and Ports, is the Network Adapter (card) that’s not installed.. the yellow question mark will disappear when you have installed the Network Adapter driver.

pa1968

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Ok, I just completed all instructions. As soon as the computer comes back up, will it scan from there like it did with the drivers? Then I just follow its instructions? Or do I need to prompt slimdrivers to do anything so it will scan? Thanks and I appreciate your help.

Peter

Check the Schedule tab in SlimDrivers... and remove the check mark in "Automatically check for driver updates" so it can't run automatically and you can do the scanns manually.

Do you now have Internet access?

pa1968

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Hi, I dont have internet yet. I restarted the computer, then opened slimdriver. I clicked scan and it said my pc was fully up to date. It didnt say I needed any driver, even though I still do. So, how do I get it to look for the network driver? I can manually tell it to if I knew how. I look forward to your reply. I appreciate your help. Thanks.

Peter

Do this next:
In the Device Manager, select the Unknown device with the yellow question mark (the one you mantioned before), Select Update Driver\ select Not at this moment, click Next, try first; “Install software automatically (recommended)” and click Next,… If the driver doesn’t install, it may be that the previous driver was somehow deleted, so you need to find it in the Internet.. So to know the correct driver you need to find, download the application Speccy, install it.. and run it… in Network, on the right pane the first line should describe the Network Adapter… if it doesn’t have a description, go to the line “Motherboard”, the second line on the right pane should describe the motherboard model.. with the mouse, select the motherboard model, select copy to clipboard, and paste the copied text to a web browser search page… from list of results, click on the link that names the motherboard website and look for a description or downloads tab or link, and look for a Network Adapter driver. Download the driver and execute it as I instructed before to start the installation and follow the installer instructions. When the installation has finished you should have internet access and if it doesn’t, restart the computer and try a web browser.. if you still don’t have Internet access, go to the Device Manager repeat my instructions at the beginning of this message…

Post back any results.

If you prefer, use Speccy to get the motherboard make and model and post it here so I can search for the Network Adapter driver… and if possible, include the Network Adapter make and model.

Guyjones01

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
I just wanted to leave a quick message to say a big thankyou for providing the link to download the Silimdrivers software.What an amazing programme.I,ve been trying/failing to fix my "Silent" high def audio codec(for XP)for nearly 2 weeks off and on,arrghhh!!!.
The slimware sorted the problem in about ten minutes,now my computer is talking&singing again.
Thankyou,best wishes,Guy.