Your question

AMD board/cpu, Nvidia Chipset, can I?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Chipsets
  • Nvidia
Last response: in Motherboards
January 1, 2010 12:56:52 PM

Motherboard says it all. I am looking at buying an am3 motherboard but I would like to purchase an Nvidia graphics card problably.. Is there any problems with this..? I don't know if I'll ever run SLI, but just as a single card is my concern. It has a 790FX chipset... I'm mainly after PhysX if I can.. I don't want to buy 2 cards because... Franky that would defeat the purpose of me saving money with AMD :-)

More about : amd board cpu nvidia chipset

January 1, 2010 1:50:42 PM

Nvidia cards work fine on AMD chipset boards they will not run in SLI though since the boards only support crossfire.
m
l
January 1, 2010 3:15:09 PM

Yeah, u will be fine with that setup, also a single powerful card solution is better, less heat, less power needed and not spend more money to CF or SLI... :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2010 4:40:40 PM

Could you run two nvidia cards on a CF board if you are using one as strictly a physX card? I am mostly just clarifying here.

The main reason to do this, is that physX is very taxing on the gpu and has a large FPS hit, but you could put in a low end physX card with a good one to render.
m
l
January 1, 2010 6:14:44 PM

This is a good question as well, and the next in my arsenal. So somebody, please do tell!

:bounce: 
m
l
January 1, 2010 6:29:03 PM

If people can have 2xHD5xxx cards in crossfire and a dedicated nvidia card as physx card I don't see that as a problem.
m
l
January 2, 2010 1:45:05 AM

You can run the rig without problems, actually I have a 790FX mobo, with a GTX260 and i don't have any problem.

Now, the problem could be if you want do a SLI, the AMD chipset only support X-Fire or PhysX.
m
l