Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Pc wont go into setup after putting wrong memory stick in

Last response: in Memory
January 1, 2010 1:38:34 PM

i wanted to upgrade my memory , i put ddr 2 memory stick on mobo , when i should have used regular ddr, computer smoked a little. I took out the new memory stick and it was burnt a little on the connectors , i replaced the old memory sticks and tried to fire up the p.c. It will power on but will not let me go into setup, desktop , recovery or anything. Is the Mobo fried , or the memory ? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You
a c 80 } Memory
January 1, 2010 3:12:13 PM

How did you manage to insert a DDR2 module in a DDR slot? If the old memory wasn't installed when the computer smoked, then the motherboard most likely is fried.
m
l
January 1, 2010 3:43:31 PM

I actually didn't , my brother-in-law did, i'm not sure, how he did it , but the older memory was also in when he did this, then he took the new stick of ram out and just used the original. Thanks
m
l
Related resources
a c 80 } Memory
January 1, 2010 4:10:56 PM

You may have a motherboard that can use both DDR and DDR2, but not both at the same time (as clearly indicated in the manual when both are supported). Try using a new DDR module (or DDR2 module if supported) and if that doesn't work, then replace the motherboard if it's worth it.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
January 2, 2010 7:24:09 AM

It's physically impossible to put a 240 pin chip into a 180 pin slot they don't fit.
Drew go to your brother in law, get his wallet, tell him I said it's ok. Go to the store buy new motherboard and memory, get the money from the wallet. Give the wallet back to your brother in law, when he wakes up go stand next to your sister!
Give your sister a bread rolling pin, it's a big round wooden thing in the kitchen drawer.
After your brother in law leaves the house put your computer back together.
Whenever your brother in law visits, remove and hide the power cord to your computer. If he won't leave ask him when the last time was he took your sister out to eat-- again stand next to your sister. Have rolling pin handy
January 2, 2010 1:57:47 PM

Thank You to all who responded
m
l
!