Sign in with
Your question

Motherboaor psu to blame?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 1, 2010 1:39:40 PM

hi
I wonder if anyone can help me,. im going quite mad over this - it truely has sent me insane, heres the details

I have a motherboard which i used to use in a system - this is a ASUS- p5rd1-v deluxe, It always worked fine - ut i stopped using it because my psu wasnt good enough torun the system stable

I recently got hold of a hiper 580w modular PSU which i thought would run my system nicely.

Connecting this psu up gave me no power at all

This confused me a little and made me think that the psu i had purchased didnt work - so i got a old psu (crappy 400w unit - and hooked it up to my machine - everything worked fine

At this point i thought i might have a faulty psu - so i got a old machine out (based on a qdi superb 4le chipset - hooked the new PSU up (hiper) and everything worked all ok

This confused me a little - so i got the asus motherboard and removed it from the case - hooked up the hiper psu - still no power.........however

I did notice that the sb_pwr (a power light on the mobo) was flickering - most people see to think that this is a problem with the +5v feed........

My question is really this - how can a psu power 1 machine - but not another. I have treid all sorts of things on the asus motherboard - from reseting cmos etc - but i get just a flickering light - no fans or nothing else

I could send the psu back (i purchased it from a forum) but ideally i want it to work

Please help

K
Add a reply Revove from the list of quoted messages Add to the list of quoted messages Quick edit Edit this message

More about : motherboaor psu blame

a c 435 V Motherboard
January 1, 2010 7:14:11 PM

Hiper isn't a top rated ps. I try to use only antec, ocz, corsair, seasonic, pc power and cooling, or enermax. All of these brands cost more, but you get what you pay for.
January 1, 2010 7:27:28 PM

its not only how many watts but amps on the rails 5 3.3 12v doing most of the work with newer systems
!