Sign in with
Your question

what thermal paste should I use

Last response: in Overclocking
July 23, 2011 4:18:49 AM

I recently purchased a cooler master hyper n520 and used the thermal paste that it came with. I think the heat sink could do better with some different thermal paste, than the one cooler master supplied, so I am wondering what thermal paste would the community recommend for a mid range cpu heat sink. Also the heat sink I purchased has a 3 pin connector would that mean that I cannot control the fan on the heat sink, thanks for reading this and your response is greatly appreciated.

More about : thermal paste

a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 3:55:47 PM

You don't need to control the fan on the heatsink, let it be.

The thermal past you used is just fine. You can go out and buy some fancy expensive TP and you may see a 1-2c drop in temps. Is that worth it? It's up to you.

m
l
July 23, 2011 5:20:53 PM

geekapproved said:
You don't need to control the fan on the heatsink, let it be.

The thermal past you used is just fine. You can go out and buy some fancy expensive TP and you may see a 1-2c drop in temps. Is that worth it? It's up to you.

Alright thanks I guess it isn't worth it as you said, but I do wish the fans could be a little more quite, but I guess it will do for now.
I noticed that you are using the same processor as I am and I was wondering what heatsink are you using and how do games run on that rig.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 23, 2011 7:35:10 PM

I'm using the stock heatsink, which is a joke, but it's completely silent and it keeps the temps under 40c idle and it's summer.
You can't overclock the cpu so I really wonder why you would by an aftermarket cooler for it.
It kicks some butt in games, much faster than my overclocked Q6600 power hog.
m
l
July 23, 2011 7:59:48 PM

geekapproved said:
I'm using the stock heatsink, which is a joke, but it's completely silent and it keeps the temps under 40c idle and it's summer.
You can't overclock the cpu so I really wonder why you would by an aftermarket cooler for it.
It kicks some butt in games, much faster than my overclocked Q6600 power hog.

the reason I bought the aftermarket heatsink was because I had money and I broke one of the four push pins, and because of that I was afraid that the heatsink might fall off. I know that the stock heatsink is silent, that is why I am complaining about my new heatsink, its noticably louder, but it does keep the cpu 10C cooler than the stock heatsink.

Well thanks for the help and don't forget intel core i3 FTW
m
l
!