GTX580 bottle-necked?

Mustafa_02

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
Hi Everyone :)

I have been having issues with MSI Kombustor Benchmark Results...

I have a 2500k clocked at 4.2 GHz. I simply put the multi at 42 with the default voltage. I have been told my Gigabyte UD7 can handle that without any need to alter voltages...

Now in regards to my GPU, well I have a Gainward Phantom GTX 580 and I have been told the higher voltage + higher clock = the better the performance.

My default Factory settings

msidefualygpuclock.jpg

Results

msikomnormalpresetdefau.jpg

Now the Over clocked settings

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6789/msioverclocked.jpg

Results

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/4930/msikomnormalpresetoverc.jpg

My first score was 5775 and my second score after having applied a over clock was 5740... :??: Could this be an issue with the CPU? Should I overclock the CPU to a higher Clock speed? My Unigine Heaven results show slight increase when Overlcocked however my curiosity on this particular benchmark is getting to me :whistle:

When you overclock DDR5 memory to the point of causing errors, it will perform error corrections and cause you to lose performance. You may also be running out of power from the PSU causing the GPU to throttle down.

Mustafa_02

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011

Are there any reasons as to why it will be performing error corrections? I have a Corsair AX850 Power Supply and only have a single GPU Rig.

My CPU is being water-cooled, and on maximum load (running Prime95) at 4.2 it peeks at 49 degrees Celsius.

Could there be any performance alterations to the Power options that I should make? What voltages are ideal for over-clocking a GTX580?

dhicks19

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
Yes what bystander said, if you push it too far, it will try sort the errors rather than crashing thus decreasing performance. Do it in small increments until you find the point where you cant go any high in terms of score