Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Replaced the hard drive on my dimension with an identical seagate, won't boot.

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Dimension
  • Boot
  • Seagate
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 1, 2011 12:11:26 AM

Hello,
All I get is a messge, "SYS Loading No Kernel."

More about : replaced hard drive dimension identical seagate boot

a c 319 G Storage
April 1, 2011 12:55:19 AM

I think that you need to provide some more information.

If all you did was replace the hard drive with a new one, then there is no OS to boot. If you copied the contents of your OS partition to a partition on the new one, then the new one is not bootable. So, please document what you have done with the new drive so far (partition, format, install, copy, puree, whatever).
m
l
April 2, 2011 5:51:15 PM

More info,old Hard Drive was destroyed bya virus.Removed and replaced with a new exact.Turned computer on and black screen shows " Sys installing SO Kernel" or words to that effect. I have to push the power button to escape! did nothing to new drive before this.
m
l
Related resources
a c 365 G Storage
April 3, 2011 3:00:04 AM

OK. As WyomingKnott said, the problem is that your new drive is EMPTY - it does NOT come with ANY information already stored on it. So there is no Operating System to boot your machine.

What you need is an Installation Disk for some Operating system. For example, you can purchase a new (NOT Upgrade) version of Windows 7 and run it (from your optical drive) to install that OS on your new HDD unit.

Before doing that, contact Dell Tech Support and ask if they can help you with some good deal (free would be lovely!) on a Windows Install disk for your machine that would let you recover from the problem of a original HDD destroyed by a virus.
m
l
April 3, 2011 3:22:29 PM

Paperdoc said:
OK. As WyomingKnott said, the problem is that your new drive is EMPTY - it does NOT come with ANY information already stored on it. So there is no Operating System to boot your machine.

What you need is an Installation Disk for some Operating system. For example, you can purchase a new (NOT Upgrade) version of Windows 7 and run it (from your optical drive) to install that OS on your new HDD unit.

Before doing that, contact Dell Tech Support and ask if they can help you with some good deal (free would be lovely!) on a Windows Install disk for your machine that would let you recover from the problem of a original HDD destroyed by a virus.

Will Do,Thank You,JIM
m
l
April 4, 2011 5:43:10 PM

Paperdoc, I have the ." os disc from my Dell ,when I tried it, same message appeared. "loading dos kernel." harley jim
m
l

Best solution

a c 388 G Storage
April 4, 2011 7:56:42 PM

Hrmmm... I wonder if it's searching for a DOS recovery partition that isn't there anymore?

If you don't care about the data on the old drive, try putting it back in the system, then booting with the OS disk in the optical drive.
April 4, 2011 9:17:22 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
Hrmmm... I wonder if it's searching for a DOS recovery partition that isn't there any. more?

If you don't care about the data on the old drive, try putting it back in the system, then booting with the OS disk in the optical drive.

Hawkeye22,the old drive was ruined by ol virus "TROJAN" & blue screen told me to take it out of the system. keep helpin me JIM
m
l
a c 388 G Storage
April 5, 2011 12:59:37 AM

I doubt the drive was physically ruined. As long as you don't boot from the old drive or try to access it's files you should be fine, and once the drive is formatted the virus/trojan/malware should be gone for good.
m
l
April 6, 2011 7:32:55 AM

harley jim said:
Hawkeye22,the old drive was ruined by ol virus "TROJAN" & blue screen told me to take it out of the system. keep helpin me JIM

Hello,
I am from the Dell Social Outreach Services Group handling Customer Queries through Face Book, Twitter and blogs across the Globe. I am really sorry for the issue you are facing.Kindly reach us at @dellcares or www.dell.com/facebook with the service tag.
Regards-Tulsi
m
l
April 6, 2011 4:17:47 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
I doubt the drive was physically ruined. As long as you don't boot from the old drive or try to access it's files you should be fine, and once the drive is formatted the virus/trojan/malware should be gone for good.

God bless your soul Hawkeye22, finally got the dos problem debugged thanks to you I'm back in business!!!! Harley Jim
m
l
April 10, 2011 3:46:26 PM

Best answer selected by harley jim.
m
l
!