Replaced the hard drive on my dimension with an identical seagate, won't boot.

Solution
Hrmmm... I wonder if it's searching for a DOS recovery partition that isn't there anymore?

If you don't care about the data on the old drive, try putting it back in the system, then booting with the OS disk in the optical drive.
I think that you need to provide some more information.

If all you did was replace the hard drive with a new one, then there is no OS to boot. If you copied the contents of your OS partition to a partition on the new one, then the new one is not bootable. So, please document what you have done with the new drive so far (partition, format, install, copy, puree, whatever).

harley jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
More info,old Hard Drive was destroyed bya virus.Removed and replaced with a new exact.Turned computer on and black screen shows " Sys installing SO Kernel" or words to that effect. I have to push the power button to escape! did nothing to new drive before this.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK. As WyomingKnott said, the problem is that your new drive is EMPTY - it does NOT come with ANY information already stored on it. So there is no Operating System to boot your machine.

What you need is an Installation Disk for some Operating system. For example, you can purchase a new (NOT Upgrade) version of Windows 7 and run it (from your optical drive) to install that OS on your new HDD unit.

Before doing that, contact Dell Tech Support and ask if they can help you with some good deal (free would be lovely!) on a Windows Install disk for your machine that would let you recover from the problem of a original HDD destroyed by a virus.

harley jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Will Do,Thank You,JIM

harley jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

Hawkeye22,the old drive was ruined by ol virus "TROJAN" & blue screen told me to take it out of the system. keep helpin me JIM

TulsiatDell

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Hello,
I am from the Dell Social Outreach Services Group handling Customer Queries through Face Book, Twitter and blogs across the Globe. I am really sorry for the issue you are facing.Kindly reach us at @dellcares or www.dell.com/facebook with the service tag.
Regards-Tulsi

harley jim

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011

God bless your soul Hawkeye22, finally got the dos problem debugged thanks to you I'm back in business!!!! Harley Jim