Recovery Disk Problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 3:17:51 AM

I have a 3 year old Presario 12XL300B that came with ME installed. While using
the recovery disk I messed up and lost power. Now the computer won't recover :(
.. The bios is in it's default mode. The recovery CD is recognized by the
computer but it creates a ramdrive and loads some dos files instead of starting
the recovery. It allows me to see the CD drive and the recovery disk which has
just 2 files; bootcat.bin and bootsector.bin. I checked the C drive and it seems
fine. I loaded some dos files and the computer reboots fine from the C drive in
dos. Any help on getting the recovery CD recognized and going again will be much
appreciated.

More about : recovery disk problem

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 3:17:52 AM

Aaron Lake wrote:
> I have a 3 year old Presario 12XL300B that came with ME installed.
> While using the recovery disk I messed up and lost power. Now the
> computer won't recover :(  . The bios is in it's default mode. The
> recovery CD is recognized by the computer but it creates a ramdrive
> and loads some dos files instead of starting the recovery. It allows
> me to see the CD drive and the recovery disk which has just 2 files;
> bootcat.bin and bootsector.bin. I checked the C drive and it seems
> fine. I loaded some dos files and the computer reboots fine from the
> C drive in dos. Any help on getting the recovery CD recognized and
> going again will be much appreciated.

In the ramdisk, is there a setup.exe?

a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 7:08:53 AM

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote:

>Aaron Lake wrote:
>> I have a 3 year old Presario 12XL300B that came with ME installed.
>> While using the recovery disk I messed up and lost power. Now the
>> computer won't recover :(  . The bios is in it's default mode. The
>> recovery CD is recognized by the computer but it creates a ramdrive
>> and loads some dos files instead of starting the recovery. It allows
>> me to see the CD drive and the recovery disk which has just 2 files;
>> bootcat.bin and bootsector.bin. I checked the C drive and it seems
>> fine. I loaded some dos files and the computer reboots fine from the
>> C drive in dos. Any help on getting the recovery CD recognized and
>> going again will be much appreciated.
>
>In the ramdisk, is there a setup.exe?

Thanks for the reply. No, there is no setup file. All the files appear to be dos
troubleshooting files such as fdisk, format ect. Apparently the recovery disk
thinks there is trouble and is giving some tools to help. Problem is I can't
find any hardware trouble.
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 10:42:04 AM

Aaron Lake <unlisted@unlisted.com> wrote:

>I have a 3 year old Presario 12XL300B that came with ME installed. While using
>the recovery disk I messed up and lost power. Now the computer won't recover :(
>. The bios is in it's default mode. The recovery CD is recognized by the
>computer but it creates a ramdrive and loads some dos files instead of starting
>the recovery. It allows me to see the CD drive and the recovery disk which has
>just 2 files; bootcat.bin and bootsector.bin. I checked the C drive and it seems
>fine. I loaded some dos files and the computer reboots fine from the C drive in
>dos. Any help on getting the recovery CD recognized and going again will be much
>appreciated.

After a bit of googling I found the answer, and for those of you with Presarios
who may someday be in the same fix, here it is: Some of the necessary recovery
files are stored on the D: partition of the C: drive. I apparently messed up
some of these files with my power failure so the supplied recovery CD no longer
would work. People who had to change busted hard drives found themselves in the
same fix according to several threads I found. Anyway Compaq has a
'QuickRestore' CD (different from the original supplied 'Restore' CD) which has
*all* the needed files on it and it is available at their website for a
reasonable US$10. So in a few days I should be fully recovered. I wish all my
mistakes were that cheap to fix... :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 12:09:15 PM

Aaron Lake wrote:

> Aaron Lake <unlisted@unlisted.com> wrote:
>

>>I have a 3 year old Presario 12XL300B that came with ME installed. While using
>>the recovery disk I messed up and lost power. Now the computer won't recover :(
>>. The bios is in it's default mode. The recovery CD is recognized by the
>>computer but it creates a ramdrive and loads some dos files instead of starting
>>the recovery. It allows me to see the CD drive and the recovery disk which has
>>just 2 files; bootcat.bin and bootsector.bin. I checked the C drive and it seems
>>fine. I loaded some dos files and the computer reboots fine from the C drive in
>>dos. Any help on getting the recovery CD recognized and going again will be much
>>appreciated.
>

> After a bit of googling I found the answer, and for those of you with Presarios
> who may someday be in the same fix, here it is: Some of the necessary recovery
> files are stored on the D: partition of the C: drive. I apparently messed up
> some of these files with my power failure so the supplied recovery CD no longer
> would work. People who had to change busted hard drives found themselves in the
> same fix according to several threads I found. Anyway Compaq has a
> 'QuickRestore' CD (different from the original supplied 'Restore' CD) which has
> *all* the needed files on it and it is available at their website for a
> reasonable US$10. So in a few days I should be fully recovered. I wish all my
> mistakes were that cheap to fix... :)
I have one more wish: that manufacturers (including IBM) stop being so
mean that they do not provide you any more with a full recovery disk.
basis and does not help when the drives goes south.

Hiding this behind a smokescreen of "security" with sometimes fancy
buttons on the keyboard is BS. Security requires, at a minimum: a CD
capable of restoring the machine the way it was out of the factory for a
worst case scenario (drive failure for instance), PLUS a backup
partition of your system the way you have organised it, NOT as it was
originally PLUS a software to handle those partitions (like Partition
Magic).

Remember that you pay good money to M$ each time you buy a laptop. Don't
you think the least you can expect is a full CD without having to
request it within xx days (and sometimes pay for it)? What is the cost
of a CD ? A few dimes ? I suggest everybody demands a full CD when
buying a machine as a condition of the deal.

--
John Doue
!