Sign in with
Your question

Is my CPU fried or is it my motherboard

Last response: in CPUs
October 8, 2009 4:21:36 AM

Ok, so i just recently spent quite a bit of money ordering a bunch of parts off newegg as i got the money for them. The sad part was i didn't order them all at once, i did it over a month's time so by the time i put it all together i couldn't RMA the first part of the order which was my CPU, Mobo, and PSU. So everything seems to work fine but when i get my case in a have to do some modding to fit my graphics card (and by modding i mean taking a saw to my hard drive bay) i then proceded to put everything back into my case.

not thinking i plugged my PSU into the wall turned on the switch on it them plugged in all my components.... i guess you could say im lucky to have not gotten shocked because after i spent two hours OCD wireing my case i plugged in the mobo power and boom, everything flashes on for an instant then turns off... and a few seconds later i smelt the smell of defeat, or just melting computer parts :p .

so i hoped that it was just my PSU but i was not that lucky, i happened to have three others lyeing around and tried them all with no avail, every time i would press the power button everything looked like it would kick on for maybe a quarter of a second. all the fans would spin one revolution and the led's would turn on, and nothing else.

I don't know what was damaged and what i can salvage, the only things i can still RMA is my 5870, but i'm not sure if i should. I don't have another computer with the same FSB speed to test the ram out on, i know the PSU works, so i basically am wondering if i just fried my CPU, my motherboard, or both, if i can salvage the CPU at least that will save me a couple hundred bucks.

More about : cpu fried motherboard

a b à CPUs
October 8, 2009 5:11:49 AM

I'd order a new motherboard and a psu. Have you tested the old psu? A good voltage tester that reads the actual voltage is ideal and costs around 20 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My guess is the motherboard got taken out and I don't trust hooking up your old psu to a new setup to see what happens without testing it first.
a c 172 à CPUs
October 8, 2009 8:34:20 AM

I have one of those - very handy. The only problem is that it does not put the PSU under any kind of load.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 8, 2009 2:03:36 PM

True but its a better educated guess than simply plugging in the psu to see what happens, lol. At least if the voltages check out you can feel more at ease to plug it in and know nothing should get damaged if all voltages are correct and stable.

If it doesn't perform well afterwards you can still replace it once you can put it under load with the system back up and going...
October 9, 2009 5:48:52 PM

i have tried the PSU on all my other computers and it works just fine, and i have tried 3 other PSU's on the motherboard, i don't see any reason to order a new power supply when i know that it works, and i don't want to just order stuff off of suspicion and waste money, my main question is would a motherboard cause this problem or would the CPU, i always though it was just the Mobo but i wanted to make sure before i spent $150 on a Mobo if it wasn't the problem.
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2009 4:36:34 AM

If you have tested other power supplies on that system I would bank on the motherboard being bad instead of the cpu. The cpu could be bad but highly doubtful...
October 10, 2009 7:45:26 AM

Here's a thought. Could it be that you shorted the motherboard out in the chassis?

My recommendation is to pull your motherboard out and hook it up on a test stand. A ream of paper works just fine for that. Something nonconductive.

See if you can power the power up that way. Also, start with a minimum of components installed. Motherboard + PS + Processor + Memory. See what happens with that.

Good luck.

October 10, 2009 9:45:38 PM

i have tried starting it up with every order of components, from the minimum to everything plugged in. i think im just going to order a new mobo and see if my processor works with a new mobo
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2009 8:54:52 AM

If your motherboard has onboard graphics, take out the videocard and see if powers up. I had a short circuit in my videocard and it gave the same symptons as you're describing.

I know you just spent hours putting it together but you could also try taking it all apart and breadboarding, just PSU, mobo, and CPU.
a c 172 à CPUs
October 11, 2009 11:35:07 AM

Breadboarding - here is what we are talking about:
October 14, 2009 2:12:33 AM

thanks for the advice, i have integrated and i tried with 5870 plugged in and taken out of the board. it did short in the case so i might breadboard it.
October 19, 2009 5:17:43 PM

well i able to sucker newegg into RMA'ing my mobo and cpu for free and i should be getting them back soon
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2009 9:12:14 PM

jms31207 said:
well i able to sucker newegg into RMA'ing my mobo and cpu for free and i should be getting them back soon

It's people like you who RMA perfectly fine hardware that make the rest of us pay more for components. Did you ever even breadboard the system to rule out a short? If the system had a short the first time, it will probably still have a short when you get the new components. You should definitely breadboard the new components when you get them.

I highly doubt both your CPU and motherboard are bad. You should have at least returned one component at a time.
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2009 2:05:59 AM

...starting with the motherboard.
November 17, 2009 2:40:42 PM

I did breadboard the day before I sent it off, had exactly the same problem, just never got around to posting about it. Newegg replaced the motherboard also they sent me back the same CPU but somehow all the pins were bent to a 45 degree angle... I had to spend 4 hours straightening them all out. put in the new motherbaord end everything booted up just fine.
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2009 3:07:21 PM

-1 for people who short out their parts then RMA them as defective.
!