BSOD 0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue need help with.

I7 920 D0
Gigabyte X58A-UD5 rev.1 motherboard - XMS3 — 6GB Triple Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (TR3X6G1333C9) Corsair DDR3 Memory.SPD Latency: 7-7-7-20
Tested Latency: 9-9-9-24
Memory Type: DDR3
Speed Rating: PC3-10600 (1333MHz)Tested Speed: 1333Mhz
6GB XMS Memory kit for triple channel systems, 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24, 1.5V
2 triple channel kits for 12GB total memory.
Radeon HD 4350 Video Card. Noctua D-14 air cooler.
I’ve been running successfully at 4.06Ghz for about 2 weeks now. I ran prime95 successfully for 8 hours. Yesterday while upping the bclk to 204 (4.08 from 4.06) I was running multiple apps including media player, outlook, photoshop, and others I received the Following BSOD
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU.

I realize I need to enter voltage values instead of using auto selections. 1. But, what voltages are the important ones to change and to what values? My interpretation of the BSOD is that it’s the northbridge voltage I need to manually control.
2. Am I right?
3. So, I should control which voltage/voltages? From what I’ve researched, I think it is the IOH core though.
4. Am I right at that thought? I don’t have a mult-gpu, and haven’t clocked this particular video card and don’t really know if I can. I realize I have a rather cheap video card but, for my birthday next week I am receiving a $175 video card. So, then I’ll be learning to overclock the new card. My intention is to try to hit 4.1 Ghz.
5. Should I just wait to get the video card before trying to hit 4.1. I also believe the Noctua D-14 will allow me to clock to 4.2 safely.
6. What’s the maximum Vcore voltage the CPU will take?
7. Do I need to increase QPI/vtt voltage too?
8. What does Performance Enhance [Extreme] [Turbo] [Standard] do, and how does it affect my overclock?

4.08Ghz
Advanced CPU Core Features
Intel Turbo Boost Tech. [Disabled]
CPU Cores Enabled [All]
CPU Multi-Threading [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) [Disabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function [Disabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT [Disabled]
Advanced Frequency Settings
CPU Clock Ratio [20 X]
CPU Frequency 4.08GHz(204x20)
QPI Clock Ratio [x36]
QPI Link Speed 7.34GHz
Uncore Clock Ratio [x13]
Uncore Frequency 2652MHz
BCLK Frequency(Mhz) [204]
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [6.0]
Memory Frequency(Mhz) 1066 1224
PCI Express Frequency(Mhz) [100]
CPU Clock Drive [800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive [900mV]
CPU Clock Skew [0ps]
IOH Clock Skew [0ps]

Motherboard Voltage Control
Load-Line Calibration [Auto]
CPU Vcore 1.23750V [1.40000V]
Dynamic Vcore (DVID) 0.00000V Auto
QPI/Vtt Voltage[1.195V] 1.175V [1.115V]
CPU PLL 1.800V [Auto]
IOH Core 1.100V [Auto]
PCIE 1.500V [Auto]
DRAM Voltage 1.500V [Auto]
DRAM Termination 0.750V [Auto]
Ch-A Data Vref. 0.750V [Auto]

Advanced Memory Settings
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) [6.0]
Memory Frequency(Mhz) 1066 1224
Performance Enhance [Extreme]
Dram Timing Selectable (SPD) [Auto]
Profile DDR Voltage 1.5V
Profile QPI Voltage 1.175V
Channel Interleaving 6 [Auto]
Rank Interleaving 4 [Auto]
Timing Settings Timing Control
CAS Latency Time 8 9
tRCD 8 9
tRRD 8 9
tRAS 20 24
Miscellaneous Settings
Isochronous Support [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology [Disabled]

thanks in advance (again) for the help!

The noob.
12 answers Last reply
More about bsod 0x116 voltage issue with
  1. uncore should be double your ram value, so lower it to 2448. also you most likely need more qpi/vtt voltage for the clock speed, try 1.3 and lower it in small increments to find the lowest stable setting. Same thing if unstable at 1.3 slowly raise the QPI/VTT not exceeding 1.35 if all possible.

also your cpu voltage seems too high, what stepping is it? what are your temperatures under 100 percent load?
  2. D0 Stepping, temps are 80 - 83 degrees centigrade at full load prime95 at 4.1.
    thanks the noob?
  3. Also, how do i exactly lower the uncore to 2448?
    thanks the noob.
  4. You should have the setting to double your ram speed in bios in uncore. With the DO stepping you should be able to significantly lower your voltage. 83c is getting a bit toasty and can contribute to instability.

I would try double ram speed for the uncore, 1.30(you can set it to 1.35 until your stable then start lowing it) for QPI/VTT and try to lower the vcore if you can.
  5. I am having trouble understanding your terminology doubling the ram speed for the uncore. I have the setting uncore frequency that I have set to 13x, 2x the memory frequency plus one. Should this setting be set to 12?
    thanks the noob. I have also lowered the vcore to 1.35. and will attempt to lower it slightly then check stability. I also enabled turbo to achieve the 21x multiplier and blck @ 194. Equals 4.074Ghz. I've been running prime95 successfully 2 hours 10 minutes and will test further. Then I will slowing increase blck to try to be successful up to 4.1ghz. Thanks the noob.
  6. Sorry I am such a dumbass but, I've been just learning OCing. Has anyone a link to help me understand QPI/Vtt Voltage, as I would appreciate knowing and understanding my settup more.
    Thanks the noob.
  7. It should be double,not double plus one. So if your ram is running at 1600, the uncore should be running at 3200 for best stability. basically double the memory divider to get the proper uncore, or just enter it as numerical if the option is there.

Here's a link to an old thread with a ton of info and about 120 pages of stuff to read. By the time your done you'll be an overclocking master!

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html
  8. I just notice that your QPI link speed is way too high, sorry missed that the first time,lol. Set it to something closer to 6.0GHZ, that's a major part of your problem.
  9. My ddr is rated at 1.5 volts and that's what it is set at do you recommend that i increase voltage up to 1.65 volts?
    On the qpi link speed how do i lower it besides lowering the bclk? In order to just decrease to 6.98ghz I had to decrease my base clock to 194 taking me out of the 3.9ghz range.
    I did set the uncore clock ratio to 12x doubling the spd. Not double the ram speed plus one like I had it. I have enabled turbo to reach the 4.07 - 4.09 range successful but I am concerned with the extra heat turbo is creating. But, my bclk will not go over 204, it seems like my cpu doesn't like a bclk over this value. So, if i use the 19x multiplier it would result in a higher bclk which i think would ultimately fail. I will try the 19x multiplier without turbo if it's suggested. I have decreased also the Vcore voltage as suggested. I decreased first to 1.35V and ran prime successfully, now I have decreased to 1.33750V with prime95 running as I type. Is this still a bit much?

Thanks again the noob. Thanks for the link but, It's going to take awhile to decipher the jargon. But, I am reading thoroughly.
  10. You should be able to set the qpi link speed manually. It will rise or lower depending on the bclk setting, but you can go in and lower it one notch to get it closer to 6.0GHZ or lower. No real practical reason to be much above 6.4, and doing so just means you'll need more vtt voltage, possibly making you run out of spec.

If you can't lower the qpi link, I would recommend lowing the bclk until the qpi link is under 7000mhz,preferably closer to 6.0GHZ.
  11. http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/Core%20i7%20920%20oc%204G%202008.12.12_(ENG).pdf
    I am kind of confused over the link from gigabyte overclocking the i7 920 @ 4.00ghz. It states on page 16 Uncore should be set to x13 (DDR3 Speed 2X+1) Maybe they are talking about a C0 and not a D0? They also use a 20x multiplier, which I understand the cpu is tempramental about an uneven multiplier. Instead use 19x or 21x. They also recommend Vcore voltage of 1.4000v. They recommend the QPI/VTT to 1.515 and leave QPI PLL to auto or default. I also did run successfully at their recommendations but have of course altered these settings according to forum recommendations. \
    Thanks the noob. thanks sportsfanboy
  12. I don't agree with a lot of things on the overclocking guide. First of all they are basically throwing a ton of voltage at the QPI/VTT bus in order to stabilize an unnecessarily high qpi link speed. Going from 6.4ghz to 7.2ghz qpi link will not show any noticeable speed increase and will just make things run hotter with more voltage than needed.

Second it's generally agreed on that 2x the memory multiplier is best for over all stability. Again, raising it above that DOES NOT show any practically speed increases in anything but synthetic benchmarks. Even then there's not a big difference.

3rd, there are a ton of people getting 4.0 ghz on your processor with more like 1.2-1.3 vcore and around 1.25 to 1.35 on the VTT/QPI, that's also with 1600mhz ram. Not 1.4 vcore, you don't have a badly binned c0/c1 stepping chip.

Personally I think that guide is trash, and no offense, it's designed for people that have absolutely no clue. You can reach the same speed with the proper settings with practically half the voltage they suggest. I personally have never heard of anyone needing 1.5 or more on the VTT at 4.0 with a 920. Maybe if you were running 2000mhz ram at 8-8-8-20, a side from that...

My advice would be to read and learn and test for your self. Following their guide has only brought you here, doesn't seem like a very good guide to me,lol
Ask a new question

Read More

Intel Memory Triple Channel Overclocking