mbbk1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
In these days im trying to expand my hardware knowledge... and there is a couple of things i just want to clear up about memory.

Im looking at the gigabyte p55m-ud4 mobo. In the specs i can see that it supports 3 diffrent speeds.

PC3-10600, PC3-8500 and PC3-16000

This kind of confuses me. Because i can freely set the bclk and dram multiplier and get speeds like PC3- 11920 (1490 Mhz) so in my eyes the information about "supported speeds" is useless.

I just wanna know what the purpose of the information is?

Mathias

Solution
I don't think you can get 1490mhz out of pc3-8500 chips by overclocking, at least not very long, actually not ever. I also think pc3-10600 chips are going to fail at this speed before very long also. I don't think you have a chance of hurting pc3-1600 chips at 1490 though, in fact I'm sure of it!
The speeds listed by the manufacturers are the guaranteed levels, while some overclocking room is available it definitly ends past the next recognized level. Why?, because those chips get regraded through binning and become sold as the next level.
The listings provided by the motherboard refer to available fixed bios settings, these and matching values are programmed into the memories spd area. The bios will then lock onto one of the matching...

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I don't think you can get 1490mhz out of pc3-8500 chips by overclocking, at least not very long, actually not ever. I also think pc3-10600 chips are going to fail at this speed before very long also. I don't think you have a chance of hurting pc3-1600 chips at 1490 though, in fact I'm sure of it!
The speeds listed by the manufacturers are the guaranteed levels, while some overclocking room is available it definitly ends past the next recognized level. Why?, because those chips get regraded through binning and become sold as the next level.
The listings provided by the motherboard refer to available fixed bios settings, these and matching values are programmed into the memories spd area. The bios will then lock onto one of the matching values, it might not always be the highest one available but the system will run at which point user has the ability to select highest matching programmed value.

Solution
Well duh, you could easily say the same thing about your processor. Why in the world would I pay $300 for a processor that will run at 3.4ghz when I could simply buy a $79 1.8ghz processor. The speeds are all there in my motherboard settings to set it to what ever speed I want? Come on people, do you even think about what you are asking before you start posting such silly things?

mbbk1992

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
You clearly misunderstood my question.... and that is ok since im danish and english is just not my thing!

The listings provided by the motherboard refer to available fixed bios settings, these and matching values are programmed into the memories spd area. The bios will then lock onto one of the matching values, it might not always be the highest one available but the system will run at which point user has the ability to select highest matching programmed value.

This was the answer i was looking for... thanks :)