Problem with Adding More Memory

bendrummin58

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
So, I have an Asus Striker Extreme motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131074

Up until now, I've been successfully using 2x1GB of DDR2 SDRAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134117

Well, recently, I've decided to buy 2x2GB more of DDR2 SDRAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134582

This would make for a total of 6 GB of memory. Now, my motherboard has four slots, A1, A2, B1, B2. According to the manual, A1+A2 must equal B1+B2. So, I put in 1GB+2GB = 1GB+2GB. When I did this, my computer turned on, I logged in, and about 30 seconds after logging in, I got a blue screen and my computer restarted. Is what I did alright? If so, why is it messing up like this? The sticks that I bought are all from the same brand (Kingston) and from what I can tell are close to the same aside from the different sizes of GB.

Will somebody please help me?

Thank you!!

EDIT: I've tested both the 2x1GB and 2x2GB by themselves and they each work fine. It only blue screens if I try everything at once.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Without worrying about the interpretation of what the manual says, there should be 2 channels for ram. A channel is two slots, usually color coded the same, put your original ram back in these slots, they should be where you started from. Now put the two new ones in the other 2 slots, color coded the same. You should now have 2 one meg chips in channel one- and 2 two meg chips in channel two.
Next you need to match the voltage the CHIPS require to the clock speed. In the case of the two sets you now have they both say 1.8v at 800mhz or 400x2. They also say cas latency 5, so far so good. Assuming you can boot past the blue screen use cpu-z program to look at ram and see if both sets use the exact same latencies. There is not enough info to just say cas 5 as there is additional information that follows. If there is no variation great, if there is set the latencies manually to match the slower settings. EX. 5-5-5-15 and 5-6-6-18 use the later.

Some motherboards are sensitive to ram mismatches. Also, the construction of ram can differ from batch to batch, even with the same product number. That is why ram is sold in kits of matched sticks.

In this case, I think the problem is running 4 sticks vs. 2. That may take additional voltage for the motherboard to run the ram.
Try booting with one set, and upping the ram voltage a notch. Then install the second set and see how you do.

bendrummin58

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009

My apologies for not getting back sooner, I had to leave town for a bit. I ran cpu-z on both pairs of chips individually and they produced the same exact results:

DRAM Frequency=> 400.9 MHz
FSB:DRAM=> 2:3
CAS# Latency (CL)=> 5.0 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD)=> 5 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP)=> 5 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS)=> 18 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC)=> 23 clocks
Command Rate (CR)=> 2T

So, with that in mind, you recommend not changing anything, roonj? Because when I insert the cards into the slots (where the same GB card goes in the same color as it's partner), the computer goes to blue screen. Even if that did work, though, the manual still says to make sure A1+A2=B1+B2.

I would prefer not upping the voltage unless I have to. Messing with that stuff seems risky to me. What do you think?

Thank you!

bendrummin58

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
By the way, here is what the manual says about the memory:

2.4.2 Memory Configurations
You may install 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, and 2 GB unbuffered non-ECC DDR2 DIMMs into the DIMM sockets.

For dual=channel configuration, the total size of memory modules installed per channel must be the same (DIMM_A1 + DIMM_A2 = DIMM_B1 + DIMM_B2)

EDIT: Also, my current voltage according to my BIOS for just the 2x2GB sticks is 2.16V. If I were to consider upping the voltage, would I only up it to say 2.25 for adding two more sticks? Or would I double the necessary voltage for two sticks (so 4.32)?

Something is wrong here. Your ram is 1.8v, and can probably be overvolted some. Why your bios voltage says 2.16v. is strange. In any case, when upping the voltage, do it in tiny steps, 0.1v at a time. Some research will probably tell you what the maximum voltage for your ram is. Do not exceed it. The number will not change regardless of how many sticks are installed. As a different way to measure, run CPU-Z which will tell you lots about the ram and what speed it is running at.

Look and see if there is a bios update for your motherboard. One of the most common reasons for a bios update is to address ram compatibility issues.
Update the bios ONLY if it seems to address your problem.

bendrummin58

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Well, the manufacturer's site says voltage range is 1.8+-.1. Does this mean the max is 1.9V? Is there such thing as too much voltage (perhaps I should perm. set it to 1.9?). I'm afraid to go past 2.16 if 1.9 is the limit.

I have no idea what I'm doing :(

I suspect that ram voltage will need to be 1.9v to run all 4 sticks. There should be a way in the bios to enable that. Do not go higher. You might also go to the ASUS web site and access their forums for your motherboard. You can probably get better advice.

bendrummin58

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
Alright, I went ahead and forced the voltage from AUTO (which gave me 2.16V) to 1.90V. I'll look elsewhere to try and figure out this problem. The asus forums, however, aren't too great for this motherboard since nobody seems to venture into the memory related threads.