Sign in with
Your question

I format the hard disk and install a new os. can i able to recover the old files

Last response: in Storage
April 1, 2011 8:12:52 AM

i format the hard disk and install a new os. can i able to recover the old files
a b G Storage
April 1, 2011 9:58:06 AM

LOL, probably not. Download the "ultimate boot CD" and see if any of its tools under the hdd section can find anything.
a c 277 G Storage
April 1, 2011 12:46:04 PM

47 is correct. Even if you scan the drive sector-by-sector, the OS install wrote to large parts of the disk, and the sectors that it wrote to, being overwritten with new data, cannot be recovered. There may be data lurking in currently-unused sectors, but your odds of recovering your files are not much better than winning the lottery.
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 1, 2011 1:34:51 PM

sarith60 said:
i format the hard disk and install a new os. can i able to recover the old files
If you format a hard drive, it effectively erases all data on the drive. Back-up and/or copy any important files to a separate medium (burn to disk, copy to another drive, etc...) before format and reinstall.

April 2, 2011 12:35:33 AM

Doesn't your format utility clearly specify in bold red letters that formatting a hard drive will cause all data to be erased, and that subsequently overwriting the formatted drive will cause permanent, unrecoverable data loss? Didn't it occur to you that you should perhaps backup your files before formatting?

Anyhow, there may be hope - typically the OS sets itself in the first available sectors of the drive (it doesn't just choose a location at random), hence if you installed only the OS after formatting, there may be hope of recovering your data, or at least some of it. First try and download some file recovery software (on a different hard drive, don't be stupid), and if that doesn't work then you can either give up or submit your hard drive to forensics, which should recover your data (again, maybe not all of it) with good probability but will also cost a lot of money.
April 3, 2011 7:37:35 PM

so i cant BLE TO RECOVER ANY PHOTOS FROM HARDDISK
a b G Storage
April 4, 2011 3:16:54 AM

Quote:
probably not. Download the "ultimate boot CD" and see if any of its tools under the hdd section can find anything.
a b G Storage
April 4, 2011 11:24:04 AM

sarith60 said:
so i cant BLE TO RECOVER ANY PHOTOS FROM HARDDISK

Nope, they are lost.
Next time think before you format ;) 
a b G Storage
April 6, 2011 8:07:32 AM

No, quick formating alone will not permanently erase all data.
Installing an OS over top of a quick formated drive however will unfortunately overwright much of the drive making recovery unlikely.
a b G Storage
April 6, 2011 9:02:36 AM

Maybe you should read the post again, a little slower this time.

After formating he installed an OS on the drive.
This effectively overwrights much of the drive making data recovery unlikely ;) 
April 6, 2011 9:18:56 AM

Not really... as I said in my post, if the drive already had an OS installed (which it has since the OP mentioned he installed a "new" OS), then the new OS will overwrite the old one (because they all place themselves in the first HDD clusters), and perhaps a little bit of data if the new OS is larger than the old one. But he definitely didn't permanently lose all his data - he likely lost some, but not all of it.
a b G Storage
April 6, 2011 10:12:58 AM

Last time seeing as no one seems to be able to read....

Quote:
probably not. Download the "ultimate boot CD" and see if any of its tools under the hdd section can find anything.
Anonymous
April 8, 2011 12:22:10 AM

What process exactly did you go through when you installed your OS, are you sure sure you formatted, can you check C:\ for a folder called windows.old just in case you think you formatted and did not format!
March 25, 2012 3:54:49 AM

Format recovery is possible on formatted hard disk or memory card.

It also works on twice formatted disk.

Tips: You should stop using your disk or your system. Stop checking disk when Windows start up or do some other things.

Do not change your disk file system before doing the recovery.

If your data were not stored on c drive, then it is okay that your data can be restored.

January 11, 2014 4:42:45 AM

First, DO NOT USE THE DRIVE, and DO NOT FORMAT IT. When you delete files, you are only removing the indexes to them (not actually deleting them). However, they are at risk of being overwritten. I would try running Recuva on it (might need a deep scan). Also, recover the files to another drive - this is CRITICAL to avoiding overwriting the drive.

Finally, next time, remember to keep a backup. (FYI, there is in fact a 4GB file size limit on FAT32 drives. exFAT is intended for thumb drives more than NTFS and will do the trick while being fully compatible with Macs, but requires some updates to work - you should already have these.)
!