Is it safe to keep your overclock (P8p67) with low temps ?

I have a p8p67 Rev 3.0 2600 3.40Ghz

My Turbo Multiplier is already at maximum (42 x 100)
Now, I'm increasing my BCLK bit by bit.
So far, so good.

I have a Zalman cooler and 2 x cooler master blade master
So, my temperatures are still good at maximum stress.

My question is: ones I have found the maximum stable BCLK
and my stress test is still good after 24 hours, is it safe then
to keep these overclocking settings forever ?
Or are there still risks that my motherboard will be damaged soon ?
(it's lifetime is still decreasing with other words)

Jack
6 answers Last reply
More about safe overclock p8p67 temps
  1. Not worth OC'ing a non K by uping the bclk. a 10 % increase in normally not detectable in normal operation and by increasing bclk you are also increasing the freq to other components such as the pci-e which should be kept close to 100 mhz.
  2. There is actually more chance of data corruption when you increase the BCLK setting. It's because you're overclocking the hard drives, CD/DVD drives and other components, which is a bad idea.
  3. Much thanks for your replies.

I will change the BCLK back to 100.
    With prime95 & CPU-Z, I have now 3.90MHz instead of 3.40MHz
    It's not much more, but at least it's something.

Better be on the safe side ;)

Jack :)
  4. BCLK OC'ing was the thing with the Intel 9xx series CPU's but w/ SB the multiplier is selectable and most OC'ing is done there. You can squeeze the BCLK t 103 or even 105 if ya wanna push it, but most consider it more trouble than its worth.

I'd get the CPU max to around 4.6 - 4.8 (whatever you can maintain good temps with). What I normally do w/ the 2600k's is set up two separate BIOS profiles.

24/7/365 OC - Set CPU to max multiplier of 44 - 46 (again, what temps will allow) with HT on.

Extreme Gaming OC - Set CPU to max multiplier of 48 - 50 (again, what temps will allow) with HT off.

With a good cooler, your temps should be OK, low max multi's will be needed with lower performing coolers ..... not all CPU's will do 4.8 tho

1. Approximately 50% of CPUs can go up to 4.4~4.5 GHz
    2. Approximately 40% of CPUs can go up to 4.6~4.7 GHz
    3. Approximately 10% of CPUs can go up to 4.8~5 GHz (50+ multipliers are about 2% of this group)

OC Guide (long version) http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1578110

OC Guide (short version) http://www.guru3d.com/article/asus-sabertooth-p67-tuf-review/10
  5. Nice informative post. Unfortunately, the OP has a non-K i7-2600 CPU so it doesn't apply. :P
  6. The non K version of i5 2500 can be overclocked to a maximum of 4.3Ghz(1 core active) and 4GHz(all 4 core active) on an ASUS p8p67.Set the multiplier to 41 , BCLK frequency to 105.4 and increase the CPU vCore by 0.025V.Thats it. Ran prime95 stress test for about 30 minutes and everything was perfectly stable.

Note:I was successful in pushing the BCLK to 106Mhz and didn't try anything afterwards as the motherboard temp would reach 40C.For stability I pushed back to 105.4.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking