HD4850 is dead?

Gundampilotspaz

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
I'm pretty sure that my HD4850 has died. I'm hoping that the issue I'm having is due to my recent change from Windows Vista to Windows 7 RC but the nature of the problem is just too severe to be caused by a simple software change.

The card is idling at about 87C-88C at 48% fan speed. When I turn the fan up to 100% I can get the idle temp down to about 76C. However, even from that point turning on Demigod for less than five minutes is enough strain to bring the CPU temp beyond the critical limit and causes my machine to power itself off as a protection measure. It's an absolute shock to see the card raise from 77C to 118C so quickly.

These are the problems I've narrowed it down to:

1) Hopefully the problem is Windows 7. Something about the way the drivers are signed as part of the RC or the way the RC handles graphics calls.
2) The headsink might have to be reseated. Which is a pain in the ass but doable.
3) A part of the GPU has failed and it can no longer regulate it's own power properly.

There is no chance to RMA the card because it is just over a year old. Does anyone else have any possible solutions? Should I even bother reseated the heat sink and just buy a new card?

I guess this is a good opportunity to upgrade to a brand new video card!

Solution
if you have the single slot cooling, aka the reference card, you have to pull it out and really really clean out the heatsink because dust literally clogs the everything between heatsink and fan (thats why i personally don't suggest raising the fanspeed manually, cloging up happens much faster)

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
if you have the single slot cooling, aka the reference card, you have to pull it out and really really clean out the heatsink because dust literally clogs the everything between heatsink and fan (thats why i personally don't suggest raising the fanspeed manually, cloging up happens much faster)

Solution