Laptop motherboard is dead!

How do I find out what component of the motherboard is defective?
6 answers Last reply
More about laptop motherboard dead
  1. Use the diagrams, a good scope and other appropriate test tools. Buying a replacement motherboard would definitely be less expensive.
  2. GhislainG said:
    Use the diagrams, a good scope and other appropriate test tools. Buying a replacement motherboard would definitely be less expensive.

Thank however I believe someone knows what typical failures occur and I am willing to change a component verses paying for a motherboard.

Bob
  3. But how will you determine which one is defective without the diagrams and appropriate test equipment?
  4. Interestingly enough I think someone knows the answer. I would try a few components just on the chance that one would work. Component prices are far less expensive then tet equipment and motherboard.

Thanks for your contribution and interest.
  5. This is Bob it was not the mother board but the power jack. All I did was take the cover offthe backside and pushed against the center pin on the power jack and the cmputer turned on again and recharged the battery. I am now on the hunt for metal glue to keep the center pin in touch with the power jack. I think most computer techs are guessing when they say its the mother board.

Thanks everyone I perservered with the idea it could be fixed.
  6. You are right most motherboards can be easily fixed. They contain tiny fuses. They look like miniature rectangular brick-like chips They are on the circuit leading to; or, located next; to the failed component; look up chip fuses on search engines to see a picture of them as, they come in many guises. most have a "000" or, F1, F2 etc. designation but, not all do, some , especially HP motherboards have white ones with the designation P10.
    A schematic can show you where they are. They are very hard to replace as they are surface mounted but, with some study, and; a hot air smt repair station; you can do your own repairs.
    In conclusion: if your motherboard is dead or, especially if only one component: i.e. wireless or, usb socket stops working (not big removable parts like: dvd drives, memory etc.) you may be able to fix it yourself. So, ; Get out the magnifying glass and, start looking for those fuses first!
    Hope this helps!
Ask a new question

Read More

Chipsets Laptops Motherboards Components