Laptop motherboard is dead!

Tags:
  • Chipsets
  • Laptops
  • Motherboards
  • Components
Last response: in Motherboards
January 1, 2010 8:16:06 PM

How do I find out what component of the motherboard is defective?

More about : laptop motherboard dead

a c 242 V Motherboard
January 1, 2010 10:09:09 PM

Use the diagrams, a good scope and other appropriate test tools. Buying a replacement motherboard would definitely be less expensive.
m
l
January 11, 2010 8:34:00 PM

GhislainG said:
Use the diagrams, a good scope and other appropriate test tools. Buying a replacement motherboard would definitely be less expensive.

Thank however I believe someone knows what typical failures occur and I am willing to change a component verses paying for a motherboard.

Bob
m
l
Related resources
a c 242 V Motherboard
January 11, 2010 8:51:06 PM

But how will you determine which one is defective without the diagrams and appropriate test equipment?
m
l
January 11, 2010 9:52:08 PM

Interestingly enough I think someone knows the answer. I would try a few components just on the chance that one would work. Component prices are far less expensive then tet equipment and motherboard.

Thanks for your contribution and interest.
m
l
January 21, 2010 11:09:41 PM

This is Bob it was not the mother board but the power jack. All I did was take the cover offthe backside and pushed against the center pin on the power jack and the cmputer turned on again and recharged the battery. I am now on the hunt for metal glue to keep the center pin in touch with the power jack. I think most computer techs are guessing when they say its the mother board.

Thanks everyone I perservered with the idea it could be fixed.
m
l
May 4, 2010 1:35:24 AM

You are right most motherboards can be easily fixed. They contain tiny fuses. They look like miniature rectangular brick-like chips They are on the circuit leading to; or, located next; to the failed component; look up chip fuses on search engines to see a picture of them as, they come in many guises. most have a "000" or, F1, F2 etc. designation but, not all do, some , especially HP motherboards have white ones with the designation P10.
A schematic can show you where they are. They are very hard to replace as they are surface mounted but, with some study, and; a hot air smt repair station; you can do your own repairs.
In conclusion: if your motherboard is dead or, especially if only one component: i.e. wireless or, usb socket stops working (not big removable parts like: dvd drives, memory etc.) you may be able to fix it yourself. So, ; Get out the magnifying glass and, start looking for those fuses first!
Hope this helps!
m
l
!