Im sorry but one more newb system build question

tjp44

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Well here it is feel free to tear apart. I have next to no experience other than basic internet research. Obviously on budget end, primary usage: basic gaming, internet, movies, photo editing using adobe lightroom 2.

CPU: Phenom ii x2 550

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX

Vid: ASUS EN9600GSO/HTDP/384M GeForce 9600 GSO 384MB 192-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP

Memory: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Case: Rosewill R226-P-BK 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS

Wireless adapt: Rosewill RNX-N300 IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless-N 2.0 PCI (1T2R) Up to 150Mbps Data Rates/ WPA/WPA2

Keyboard: crappy basic logitech wireless

vista home prem. 64bit

All this for the low low price of around 600 on new egg incl. vista

Please inform me of the holes, I realize there is no optical but it appears all the decent ones are sold out on newegg, zipzoomfly, and amazon. Any advice in that direction would be awesome as well. Thanks a bundle

Technically thats more than one question , and since you double posted its a bloody forest of questions.

Firstly dont buy vista . You can download and use the RC of windows 7 for free till the retail version is on sale so you might as well rather than getting stuck with vista for the next few years .

Spend the money you save on a better case

or a decent gfx card [ depending on your monitor ]

, or buy your gf something nice

A decent budget build. I just finished a build like that for a WoW player and it's working fine. I do agree on downloading and using Windows7 64 bit.

*edit* yes there seem to be a shortage of burners lately, could be they're tooling for the new SATA (just a guess) newegg usually get some in, but they sell out fast.

Kithzaru

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Yeah, i would tend to agree with everyone else here. Don't waste the money on vista when win 7 is around the corner. DL the RC and use that BUT save some cash from your build to get the full win7 at a later time.

I would really consider like...waiting a week... and putting another 20 bucks into the GPU. I bought a 9600gt over a year ago and it's been a damn fine card for the price, never let me down and performs well, but as time goes on and new games come out you will see more and more that it can't keep up. Spend the extra 20 bucks and get a 4850 or a gts250, you won't regret it down the road.

also you could look at newegg in the combo deals area, there are A LOT of good deals on the Phenom x2 550's with a mobo.

I'm not going to do your homework for ya, but a point in the right direction is always good ; )

best of luck

tjp44

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
Thanks to all have responded, some good advice to consider. Yeh sorry for the double-post, I still am unsure as to why that happenned. Excellent point about the Win 7. I knew vista was crap but didnt know there was an 7 RC version available, and that extra money could def. go towards case and GPU. Yes, and really the best point is i should drop the whole plan and redirect all funds into the girlfriend, resulting in a much more harmonious house... not going to happen though, oh well. Thanks again.

DataCabbitKSW

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
Tjp44, Definitely go the Windows 7 RC route (Get it here for free before August 15th cut-off on downloads: http://tinyurl.com/832nco ). Keep mindful of the prices for whichever version you are going to be getting. Microsoft has the official prices on their own store here: http://tinyurl.com/mzaegm For most people, you are just going to need the Home Premium version, although you could go with Professional for the Virtual XP and other features. You'll be using the RC at least until October 22nd (retail release date of Windows 7). Be careful though as there is no official method for doing an in-place upgrade from the RC to the final. You'll likely have to do a fresh install at that time.