turbochargedcow

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I turned my computer off yesterday and went to turn it on again but it would not boot.
All fans spin and everything but it just gives me a black screen.
I have already ruled out the case, PSU, and graphics card.
I haven't checked the RAM but i don't believe that went bad.
The only thing it leaves me with would be that something happened to either the motherboard or processor.

Is there any way to single out which one it is? I don't have another system that i could swap parts with.

any help would be much appreciated!

My system:

MSI P6N nForce 650i SLI motherboard
Diamond Radeon HD 3870 512MB graphics card
Intel Core 2 Duo e6550 2.33GHz processor
NZXT Lexa case
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3750330AS 750GB hard drive
2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 DHX RAM

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
I can understand how you ruled out the case since the metal is all still there.
I can't understand how you rulled out anything else, like the PSU or graphics card.
The fact that the fans spin is hopeful but not an indication of a good power supply.
Question, does the power light on the monitor show? If so does the monitor show any indication of signal. Disconnect the cable from the video card and turn on monitor, typically there is a no signal received or connection message.
Now read Psalm 67 with a bats wing in your left hand. Just kidding!!!
Next I would disconnect power and data lines from hard drive/dvd anything not neccessary to getting a post screen to the system. Try again

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I second roonj. Processors dont just blow unless you were massively overclocking - and you didnt say that. Fans run off of the 12V line but that leaves several other voltages as a potential issue

Any LED's at all?
Any beeps?
Do you have a voltmeter you can measure the PS with? Be careful!!!

If everything you do leaves you unsure of whats wrong, then start with the cheapest item and begin replacing. Start with the PS.

This is why all of us have piles of power suppliers, motherboards and other stuff lying around...

turbochargedcow

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
mmm... I just assumed that the power supply would be okay since all of the LEDs, fans, and stuff like that worked.
And I ruled out the graphics card because i took it and tried it in a different computer.
The HDD isn't even plugged in at the moment.

Ill try and get my hands on a different power supply and see if that does the trick!