My system and GTX 285?

starzinger82

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Currently i have AMD X2 5000+, 3gb ram, win vista 32mb, 550w power supply. I was using 8800 GTX until it broke..yah black out n stuff. Im thinking my cpu is bottlenecking the new card? And is my 550w power supply enough? atleast it says so in nvidia page for the 285. Thank you

what is the brand of the PSU and what are the amps on the 12v rail(s)
CPU probably is bottlenecking the GPU, an easy test is to run a benchmark (game fps) then OC the CPU and rerun the benchmark and if the fps went up about the same percentage as the cpu you have a bottleneck
keep doing that until you don't see much of a difference

Because of your CPU, you can't take advantage of the 285. The maximum you can handle is an NVidia 9800GTX+ or and HD4850.

If it's a half-decent PSU you should be fine. The best value for you is the HD4850.

If you buy a card above these two you will see no benefit, it will cost more and you will generate wasted heat.

starzinger82

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Thank you for your answers. If im planning to take full advatange of the card i need to upgrade the processor right? What processor you recommend? whats the difference between AM2 and AM2+ sockets? Im not sure which my system has. Could i install intel processor also?

jeep11

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2008
Download the program CPUZ it will tell you what socket you have. The sockets AM2, AM2+, and AM3 are all interchangeable if you have updated BIOS.

starzinger82

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Ok thanks. I checked my socket and it is AM2. which is best processor for this socket to buy? or in top 3? my pc was company built so unfortunately im 80% sure i cannot OC it. its blocked.

Current AMD processors use Hypertransport: memory management hardware built into the CPU itself. AM2 uses HT2 which is about half the speed of HT3, used in the AM3 systems.
It is possible to install a AM3 chip in a AM2 motherboard but the chip will be restricted somewhat, also it is likely that a BIOS flash will be needed for your existing motherboard to accept an AM3 chip.
As you have found, the BIOS is locked so no overclocking and I'm not sure the builder will have a BIOS update-Dell often do but I'm not sure about others.
I'd say drop a GTS250 in there, it's a little faster than the card you had and avoids the possible driver problems that can be encountered when switching chip manufacturers.

starzinger82

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Ive already ordered the 285 GTX. hoping it wont be that much bottlenecked. But is AM2 and AM2+ the same thing? if so i can just buy phenom II or something and install it without problem

Download and run CPUZ and open the motherboard tab, it should give you all the information you need without digging up the manual in that box of stuff under the bed, then go to the manufacturers site, most give a full CPU support list for each 'board.

AFAIK AM2, AM2+ and AM3 chips are interchangeable, in that the socket is the same for all, but not every motherboard can handle every chip, so check very carefully that your motherboard will support any upgrade you have in mind.

starzinger82

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Codename Brisbane
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Package Socket AM2 (940)
CPUID F.B.2
Extended CPUID F.6B
Brand ID 4
Core Stepping BH-G2
Technology 65 nm
Core Speed 2411.2 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 12.0 x 200.9 MHz
HT Link speed 1004.6 MHz
Stock frequency 2600 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
L1 Data cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2 x 512 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
Max FID 13.0x
Max VID 1.400 V

K8 Thermal sensor yes
K8 Revision ID 6.0
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 0
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 1
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 2
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 3

I dont really find anything bt the AM2 :) Im hoping to buy AM2+ socket one. maybe this
AMD Phenom II X4 940 - 3 GHz, cache L3 6 Mt, socket AM2+ - Black Edition
think it fits?

That is a big jump, your current CPU uses 65W and the one you are looking at is 125W.
Not all motherboards will support a 125W processor.
Re run CPUZ and click on the motherboard tab to find out exactly which motherboard you have then check the makers site to see if that processor is supported.
Do not purchase that CPU until you are certain it will run!

starzinger82

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Couldn't find the watt usage. But im pretty sure i have NVIDIA GeForce 6100 / nForce 430 since its Nvidia MCP61

Which pupport AMD® Socket AM2 Athlon 64 X2 / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64/ Sempron

what processor you would recommend to fit these slots? or just buy new motherboard?

Please, tell us the full specs of the PSU, not all powersupplies are created equal and while a good 550W will run that card one of lesser quality will struggle.
I doubt a motherboard of that type and chipset is going to support a decent upgrade, the X2 5000 is not that bad as a CPU!
Right now I would wait and see on the performance, if it's OK then either leave well alone or, if you want to upgrade the MB/CPU, post in the Homebuild or CPU and Components Forums for assistance.
But get back to us with the PSU specs, please!