Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New Core2Quad: no video,no post,no bios, no beep, hdd led on,cpufan on

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 8, 2009 12:53:06 PM

I assembled a new system as follows:

Mobo: ASUS P5KPL-CM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
OCZ DDR2-1066 4GB Kit
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
MadDog DVDRW drive
500W PSU

This system, when assembled, went through POST but kept crashing on Vista or WinXP installation. After several tries of troubleshooting, I finally figured out that one of the 2GB RAM sticks was bad. So I kept the good stick of RAM in, and went ahead and installed VISTA and all. Everything was great. Now all I needed to do was go back and exchange the RAM.

I exchanged the RAM for Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800. Then I reassembled the system as follows:

Mobo: ASUS P5KPL-CM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Corsair XMS2 DDR-800 4GB Kit
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
MadDog DVDRW drive
500W PSU

This time, after assembly, I get NO VIDEO signal. No POST. No BIOS. No beeps either. No light on keyboard too. HDD light is always on. Power LED is on. The motherboard LED is on. CPU Fans spin. DVDRW drive works (i.e. tray opens/closes), I can even hear the hard drive spinning and all.

So I first disconnected the HDD and the DVD RW. Still same problem.

Removed one RAM stick. Same problem.
Removed the other RAM stick put the first one back on. Same problem.
Switched RAM slots. Same problem.
Removed BOTH RAM sticks. Same problem.
Finally, just had the CPU and heatsink/fan on there, but still same problem.

Frustated, I went and exchanged the mobo. Got a Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L. Now rebuilt the system as follows:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Corsair XMS2 DDR-800 4GB Kit
Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM
MadDog DVDRW drive
500W PSU

After assembly I still have the SAME FRIGGIN problem. No video. No beeps. No POST. No BIOS. No light on keyboard too. HDD light is always on. Power LED is on. CPU Fans spin. DVDRW drive works (i.e. tray opens/closes), I can even hear the hard drive spinning and all.

I tried the same routine .. disconnected the HDD and the DVD RW. Still same problem. Removed one RAM stick. Same problem. Removed the other RAM stick put the first one back on. Same problem. Switched RAM slots. Same problem. Removed BOTH RAM sticks. Same problem. Finally, just had the CPU and heatsink/fan on there, but still same problem.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME BEFORE I GO NUTS HERE???????

The motherboard should be good because its a new one. The other problem may be the CPU, but it worked once to a point where I was able to install Vista and work it fine.

Again, please help. Thanks in advance!

- SM
July 8, 2009 2:19:56 PM

Well it seems the only thing that changed between it working fine, and it not working at all was the RAM. I find it incredibly hard to believe that you could have such bad luck as to get 3 bad sticks out of 4, especially when they are Corsair and OCZ sticks, but I suppose it is possible. I'd probably return the RAM (again :( ) and try it out with the new sticks. (again :( ) If that doesn't work... well then maybe its a PSU problem? PSU issues can cause all kinds of indescribable, confusing, and random problems. You didn't mention what kind of PSU you have, so I'll assume it's a no-name cheap part, which could support this theory. Hope it works out for you. I know I'd be tearing MY hair out.
July 8, 2009 2:23:21 PM

kufan64 said:
Well it seems the only thing that changed between it working fine, and it not working at all was the RAM. I find it incredibly hard to believe that you could have such bad luck as to get 3 bad sticks out of 4, especially when they are Corsair and OCZ sticks, but I suppose it is possible. I'd probably return the RAM (again :( ) and try it out with the new sticks. (again :( ) If that doesn't work... well then maybe its a PSU problem? PSU issues can cause all kinds of indescribable, confusing, and random problems. You didn't mention what kind of PSU you have, so I'll assume it's a no-name cheap part, which could support this theory. Hope it works out for you. I know I'd be tearing MY hair out.


Kufan: Thanks, man!! I have one of these for the PSU. I don't think the RAM is bad though cuz I've tried it without any RAM in place.... still get no video. From what I've seen on this and other forums, you're supposed to at least get to the POST screen even when there's no RAM in place. Maybe I'm mistaken....
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2009 2:36:58 PM

The system will NOT post with no RAM installed, but you should hear beeps from the system speaker indicating no RAM. Do you have a system speaker installed?
July 8, 2009 2:45:47 PM

Wow that PSU takes the gold in a contest for most "generic" lol. I still say return the RAM first, and if that doesn't work, return the PSU. I recommend Corsair for both RAM and PSU. You could always kill two birds in one car trip, but if it works, you won't know which solution actually fixed the problem (but then you probably don't care what fixes it as long as it's fixed)

shortstuff is right though, it won't POST without RAM but it should beep at you. If you don't have a system speaker, they make them for just a few dollars, and then you can compare it to the motherboard's beep codes and perhaps get a better idea of what is going on.
July 8, 2009 2:51:12 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The system will NOT post with no RAM installed, but you should hear beeps from the system speaker indicating no RAM. Do you have a system speaker installed?


Ahh.. no system speaker installed. What about when I do have a RAM stick in there ... what might be the problem?
July 8, 2009 2:52:05 PM

kufan64 said:
Wow that PSU takes the gold in a contest for most "generic" lol. I still say return the RAM first, and if that doesn't work, return the PSU. I recommend Corsair for both RAM and PSU. You could always kill two birds in one car trip, but if it works, you won't know which solution actually fixed the problem (but then you probably don't care what fixes it as long as it's fixed)

shortstuff is right though, it won't POST without RAM but it should beep at you. If you don't have a system speaker, they make them for just a few dollars, and then you can compare it to the motherboard's beep codes and perhaps get a better idea of what is going on.


:-) Thanks for the vote of confidence. :p  I don't know what to do anymore --- everything from mobo, cpu, ram to even the case and psu seems suspect. !!
July 8, 2009 3:02:28 PM

The most important step in troubleshooting is identifying what has changed in between normal operation, and failure. The only thing that seemed to change when you started having the problem, was that you replaced your one working RAM stick. That is why I have to assume the problem lies in the RAM. I also suggested the PSU might be suspect because it is awfully generic, and a bad PSU can cause problems in just about any form since it interacts with literally every other component.

Those are your best bet IMO for finding the solution, but it really could be a mobo issue, (unlikely since you replaced it) it could be a processor issue, (also unlikely) it could be that you have a short (you'd smell ozone when you power on the computer) there's a laundry list of possibilities, but the RAM or the PSU is where I would start.
July 8, 2009 3:04:35 PM

kufan64 said:
The most important step in troubleshooting is identifying what has changed in between normal operation, and failure. The only thing that seemed to change when you started having the problem, was that you replaced your one working RAM stick. That is why I have to assume the problem lies in the RAM. I also suggested the PSU might be suspect because it is awfully generic, and a bad PSU can cause problems in just about any form since it interacts with literally every other component.

Those are your best bet IMO for finding the solution, but it really could be a mobo issue, (unlikely since you replaced it) it could be a processor issue, (also unlikely) it could be that you have a short (you'd smell ozone when you power on the computer) there's a laundry list of possibilities, but the RAM or the PSU is where I would start.


Very logical explanation, kufan! Thanks again!! I sure will try all this out.
May 23, 2010 1:38:36 PM

"After assembly I still have the SAME FRIGGIN problem. No video. No beeps. No POST. No BIOS. No light on keyboard too. HDD light is always on. Power LED is on. CPU Fans spin. DVDRW drive works (i.e. tray opens/closes), I can even hear the hard drive spinning and all. "

I have the same problem on two very different PC's. They are NOT new builds. I made NO hardware changes.
They just stopped working.

PC1 was an old HP Updated the PSU with Antec 380 when the old PSU caught on fire!

PC2
Asus Maximus Motherboard
Corsair Dominator RAM 2 ( 1GB sticks)
PC Power & Cooling 750 watt PSU
Asus 9800+ GTX video

PC2 gave little warning that something was wrong. It just was running slower than normal.

Now both are Dead. Could this be a virus?
June 16, 2010 5:44:21 AM

i had the same problem, change the ram 2 different times finally it boots and go to the log in.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
June 16, 2010 7:48:42 PM

gopalkamat said:
Ahh.. no system speaker installed. What about when I do have a RAM stick in there ... what might be the problem?

First, install a system speaker. With no way to hear the beep codes - if any, you are limited to blindly changing parts until you get lucky.

Then:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...
!