Removed virus and now monitor and keyboard do not work

wendresma

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
Please help! Last night my husband's computer screen was going off at certain intervals whenever he used the computer. If he did nothing on the computer it was fine. While he was using the computer his cursor would freeze and then the screen would go blank and then come back up.Then after a while he started getting pop ups and I did some research online. I found out it might be a virus. So, we started the computer in safe mode and ran our AVG. It came up with one virus and five trojans. We removed them. Now the keyboard and monitor are not working. The tower will boot up, because I see the little light come on, but nothing else seems to work on the computer. It's a rather old desktop, says "Compaq" when it loads, runs on XP. It was built by my sister in law's husband just for my husband for audio. Prior to what happened yesterday, he had been having some audio/video skipping problems. They seemed to happen after I used the computer for photo editing. I store all of my pictures on an external drive and use the Adobe Elements on his computer. Then, someone suggested I eject my external drive after I use it. Believe it or not, that worked. Then, the monitor flashing started that afternoon. My husband thinks he might have picked the virus and trojans up on a website while Christmas shopping yesterday afternoon. I hope I have provided all of the pertinent information and I appreciate any help I can get. We are trying to exhaust our resources before we actually put money into the computer. Thank you.

Another level: I was just saying, get another level of security (Malwarebytes).

Boot into safe mode and see if mouse / KB work. If so, choose with networking and you can download & install, most likely.

If not, and you have Windows CD, boot with that and repair-install.
If no CD, get a rescue CD (using another computer) to boot from.