Sign in with
Your question

Need a more reliable wifi router/modem than my WAG160n linksys - reccomendations

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 16, 2010 10:59:58 PM

Hi,

Never been happy with the Linksys WAG160N Router, rests it self every hour, drops the Wifi when you try and move large amounts of data about e.g. Backing up to a NAS is impossible and is very laggy when play xbox on-line :-( and final nail is the range is very poor. It's been manufacturer replaced twice all units have been the same so clearly a rubbish product so now need to replace but unsure what to buy? Had a belkin N1 previously, that died after only 4 months and Belkin support is so rubbish ended up throwing it away and will never buy Belkin again. Any suggestions welcome, thanks.
January 17, 2010 9:19:49 PM

Anything anyone can suggest that you've experianced?
June 18, 2011 12:22:35 AM

Long time between followups but I'll give this a shot. I recent tested several routers one of being the Linksys WAG160N v2 Wireless N, a Netgear DG834DSP and Linksys WAG200 Wireless G. Prior to this a SMC WBRA.

The short of it is there was not much difference between the 3 when testing from the longest distances, however the WAG160N had better video performance meaning less pauses on Youtube over the 1500k ADSL 1 link.

I settled on the WAG160N due to this reason but also because I was able to get best range and eliminate dropouts with the following tweaks :

1. Roll back the firmware from 2.00.20 to 2.00.17 - increase speed and eliminate dropouts !
2. Change the wireless mode from Mixed to G only. Got an extra bar of range disabling the wireless N.

Overall reasonably happy - still could do with better range but not about to go and spend $200-$300 on a dual band router without extensive research this time.
!