billin30

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
I just started looking into buying memory again for Windows 7 and was surprised to see the prices. I bought a 2x2GB set of 800 Mhz DDR2 memory for around 40 bucks a little over a year ago, and now I go and look at the same set and its 75 bucks on sale for 65! What the heck is going on with memory prices? In my experience, older tech usually depreciates in value... I have also noticed this when purchasing DDR memory, which is very old and often costs almost twice as much as newer memory.

This does not make any sense and just wondering if anyone else had noticed this craziness?

Solution
It's not crazy at all.

DDR isn't made in large quantities any more so it's no longer cost-effective to produce it hence the price rise.

DDR2 will start going the same way in a year or so with all new platforms moving to DDR3, and 800MHz DDR2 is old as well.

Also bear in mind that you have supply and demand to consider as well - if chip manufacturers can't produce enough RAM to meet demand then the prices will go up, if chip manufacturers have too much stock then prices drop to clear it out.

It's normal economics.

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
It's not crazy at all.

DDR isn't made in large quantities any more so it's no longer cost-effective to produce it hence the price rise.

DDR2 will start going the same way in a year or so with all new platforms moving to DDR3, and 800MHz DDR2 is old as well.

Also bear in mind that you have supply and demand to consider as well - if chip manufacturers can't produce enough RAM to meet demand then the prices will go up, if chip manufacturers have too much stock then prices drop to clear it out.

It's normal economics.

Solution