Moving from AMD to Intel-4 Pin to 8 Pin Power Connector

jamesrwright

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2007
I have 550 W BFG power supply which works well with my AMD X2 6000 CPU.
I have decided I want more performance, but I don't want to stay with AMD.
I want to get an I5 750-I will need to get a new motherboard..

The only problem I see is that the power connector on the Intel Motherboard I want to get is an 8 pin, and the one I have in my current PC is a 4 Pin. My friend said there is an an adapter which would enable me to convert the 4 pins into an 8 pin adapter..
Any idea on if this is possible? If it is not possible, I may have to stay with AMD-do not want to spend another 100+ on a power supply.

It's not only possible but not recommended. You can get the adapter for around 6 bucks, the problem with it is the adapter connection ends become the hot spot in the wiring and you could come home to the aftermath of a house fire.

Not very desirable so I recommend you spend a few extra bucks and get a new power supply...

Never seen a motherboard that didnt work with a 4-pin PSU plugged into an 8pin aux etc, and a converter i cant see it making any difference etc

Also note when buying that i5 you WILL need new ram - DDR2 is incompatible etc.

Never half ass build a system - much better saving up for longer and spending that extra for something DECENT

Actually I believe I am thinking of the 20 to 24 pin power adapter cable. The 4 pin to 8 pin for the cpu would probably be ok but I always prefer my psu to have the correct connectors from the beginning to reduce any possible issues, proper voltages, shorts, etc...