Sign in with
Your question

Creating a USB card reader from an old internal card reader.

Tags:
  • Flash Media
  • USB Card Reader
  • USB
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 1, 2011 6:50:58 PM

I recently took an internal USB card reader out of a junked out computer. This card reader connects to a standard 9-pin plug-in on the motherboard. I am wondering if there is a way to convert this 9-pin plug into a standard USB plug so all I have to do is plug it into a USB port and I can use it as a USB SD card reader?

I know you can just go out and buy a USB card reader but I want to try and make this work, if at all possible.

What I have done so far. I pulled out the internal card reader and cable that accompanies it and cut it in half and exposed all the internal wires. I've stripped each down a little so I can connect them to other wires. The color of wires that are inside are; red, black, green, white, orange, blue, yellow, and brown. I also cut a USB cable in half and exposed those wires. I connected the Red, Black, Green, and White wires together as they are the basic USB data transfer and power wires. ONce they were connected I plugged in the USB to my computer and it popped up saying that there was new hardware and went and installed the hardware drivers. I look in My Computer and the Drive letters show up as ones that are removable.

The next thing I tried was to plug in a SD card and see if it would show up and nothing worked. I clicked on all the removable drives and it asked me to insert a disk, blah blah blah. So it was not reading any data from the SD card, it just showed that there were removable drives with nothing in them.

I tried hooking up the other color wires with the standard power and data transfer wires but that didn't seem to help as well. So i'm just wondering if there is a specific wire connection I have to use or do I have to download specific drivers to get it to work, or is it at all possible.

Please let me know and thank you in advance.
Trevor

More about : creating usb card reader internal card reader

Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 17, 2011 8:14:15 PM

tbensen said:
I recently took an internal USB card reader out of a junked out computer. This card reader connects to a standard 9-pin plug-in on the motherboard. I am wondering if there is a way to convert this 9-pin plug into a standard USB plug so all I have to do is plug it into a USB port and I can use it as a USB SD card reader?

I know you can just go out and buy a USB card reader but I want to try and make this work, if at all possible.

What I have done so far. I pulled out the internal card reader and cable that accompanies it and cut it in half and exposed all the internal wires. I've stripped each down a little so I can connect them to other wires. The color of wires that are inside are; red, black, green, white, orange, blue, yellow, and brown. I also cut a USB cable in half and exposed those wires. I connected the Red, Black, Green, and White wires together as they are the basic USB data transfer and power wires. ONce they were connected I plugged in the USB to my computer and it popped up saying that there was new hardware and went and installed the hardware drivers. I look in My Computer and the Drive letters show up as ones that are removable.

The next thing I tried was to plug in a SD card and see if it would show up and nothing worked. I clicked on all the removable drives and it asked me to insert a disk, blah blah blah. So it was not reading any data from the SD card, it just showed that there were removable drives with nothing in them.

I tried hooking up the other color wires with the standard power and data transfer wires but that didn't seem to help as well. So i'm just wondering if there is a specific wire connection I have to use or do I have to download specific drivers to get it to work, or is it at all possible.

Please let me know and thank you in advance.
Trevor

Have you got the solution?? If so, do tell me. I am facing the similar problem. :(  I want to convert my sd card reader port to usb flash drive reader. Exactly opposite to ur problem.
mani
mani_khan08@hotmail.com
!