Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Should i go Sli?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2009 11:44:41 PM

Specs:

xfx 680i Lt MoBo
8Gb ddr2 Ram
Cooler Master 932 full tower case
intel e8200 cpu
evga gts 250 (512mb ddr3)
ultra 750w power supply


i want to upgrade my gpu.

should i get a second gts 250?
or something higher.

id appreciate any help

More about : sli

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2009 11:50:13 PM

Welcome to the forums.
What resolution do you play at? Are the games your playing not running smoothly? Total budget?

m
0
l
July 29, 2009 11:55:56 PM

i have a 22" monitor.

and the gameplay isint bad.

but with the specs i have, whats better? another gts 250?

what do 2 gts 250s equal to? a 275 gtx?
my budget is no more than $200

i appreciate the help
m
0
l
Related resources
July 30, 2009 12:08:06 AM

invisik said:
Welcome to the forums.
What resolution do you play at? Are the games your playing not running smoothly? Total budget?





i have a 22" monitor.

and the gameplay isint bad.

but with the specs i have, whats better? another gts 250?

what do 2 gts 250s equal to? a 275 gtx?
my budget is no more than $200

i appreciate the help
m
0
l
July 30, 2009 12:14:35 AM

i belive a pair of 250's would rival a 280... 250's in sli isn't that popular as far as i know, i actually don't remember anyone really doing that probably because a pair of 4850's is a far cheaper option... with $200 i believe another 250 would be the best option for you
m
0
l
July 30, 2009 12:16:21 AM

xc0mmiex said:
i belive a pair of 250's would rival a 280... 250's in sli isn't that popular as far as i know, i actually don't remember anyone really doing that probably because a pair of 4850's is a far cheaper option... with $200 i believe another 250 would be the best option for you



so
the 750w power supply
and the e8200 wouldnt have a problem with a second gts 250?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2009 12:17:30 AM

A second GTS 250 would be an excellent option given your specs. More often than not the pair could beat out the GTX285 at your resolution. Just be aware you won't see that type of scaling in all games.

You'll want to OC that E8200 if you aren't already. What's the max combined +12V for your Ultra PSU?
m
0
l
July 30, 2009 12:20:07 AM

i don't believe you will bottleneck too much with the e8200 at that resolution but OC is always a plus... 750W is plenty and unless you have a really bad PSU, again u shouldn't have a problem
m
0
l
July 30, 2009 12:21:36 AM

pauldh said:
A second GTS 250 would be an excellent option given your specs. More often than not the pair could beat out the GTX285 at your resolution. Just be aware you won't see that type of scaling in all games.

You'll want to OC that E8200 if you aren't already. What's the max combined +12V for your Ultra PSU?


yeah.....about Oc'ing stuff.
i have no experience with it. and i believe the e8200 doesnt have an unlocked multiplier so i have no idea where to go.

but i have awesome ventilation with a haf 932 case and a cf900 cpu cooler.
so i have no problem with overclocking, i just dont know how.
m
0
l
July 30, 2009 12:24:42 AM

pauldh said:
A second GTS 250 would be an excellent option given your specs. More often than not the pair could beat out the GTX285 at your resolution. Just be aware you won't see that type of scaling in all games.

You'll want to OC that E8200 if you aren't already. What's the max combined +12V for your Ultra PSU?


i just looked at the psu box, if im looking at the right place,
my max combined +12v is 540w :S

this is so confusing.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2009 12:41:55 AM

That would be 45A (540W/12V), which is fine. Do you have a link to your PSU model or pic of the label? You want to make sure it's only the +12V you are looking at.
m
0
l
July 30, 2009 12:50:10 AM

pauldh said:
A second GTS 250 would be an excellent option given your specs. More often than not the pair could beat out the GTX285 at your resolution. Just be aware you won't see that type of scaling in all games.

You'll want to OC that E8200 if you aren't already. What's the max combined +12V for your Ultra PSU?


pauldh said:
That would be 45A (540W/12V), which is fine. Do you have a link to your PSU model or pic of the label? You want to make sure it's only the +12V you are looking at.


http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...
m
0
l
July 30, 2009 1:02:35 AM

ok so i fidgeted with mycpu.
i used the front side bus and i have Oc'ed it to 3.6Ghz
and it idling on 40c which is awesome, but does the performance really rise that much?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2009 1:27:04 AM

Get another 512mb gts250. Your psu will handle it fine. Overclock the cpu if you can at stock it could bottleneck it a bit since its in sli.
m
0
l
!