How to remove CPU on Satellite Pro 4200 Series?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 8:41:37 AM

Does anyone out there know how to remove the CPU on this line? The CPU
appears to be Micro-PGA2, but I can't figure out how to release it.
(Haven't gotten to the underside of the motherboard yet) If it's
Micro-PGA2 that means it wouldn't be permanently fixed, right? There is
some lettering on the motherboard right next to the CPU that says
"Lock", but there doesn't seem to be any mechanism there to release it.

Thanks for any help,
Joe
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 5:43:50 PM

Alex Quant wrote:
> "Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
>>Does anyone out there know how to remove the CPU on this line? The CPU
>>appears to be Micro-PGA2, but I can't figure out how to release it.
>>(Haven't gotten to the underside of the motherboard yet) If it's
>>Micro-PGA2 that means it wouldn't be permanently fixed, right? There is
>>some lettering on the motherboard right next to the CPU that says
>>"Lock", but there doesn't seem to be any mechanism there to release it.
>

> The MPGA2 processor in my 4270 is not soldered in place and can be removed.
> As I recall there is a small screw/lock on the socket that needs to be
> turned in order to unlock the processor from the socket. Be careful, as it
> looks delicate and I guess is not designed for frequent manipulation! :)
>
> Are you upgrading your 4200? I'd be interested to know if its from a Celeron
> or P-III? Also, what speed and type processor are you going to use, and how
> you get on? My 4270 uses a Celeron 500MHz which is fine, but I've often felt
> a little tempted to fiddle about and stick in a slightly faster P-III
> (something like a 650MHz - anything higher would be risky thermally). My
> concern would be compatibility (voltage and Speedstep), and how the laptop
> manages the increased heat generated.
>
> AlexQ.
>
> ~ Reply-to valid ~

Alex,

Thanks for the reply! I've got a PIII 750 that I'm going to put in if I
can figure it out (and not expecting to get all of that speed benefit
due to my lack of speedstep - I've also got a Celeron 500 in mine). I
would guess mine is the same layout as yours, but for the life of me I
can't find a small screw/lock - can you remember which side the
screw/lock is on? There hardly seems to be room on the socket. Could I
send you a picture of my mboard/CPU and maybe you could point me in the
right direction?

Joe
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 6:36:56 PM

Alex Quant wrote:

> "Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> news:p 49ic.10346$w96.1051742@attbi_s54...
>
> [..]
>

>>Thanks for the reply! I've got a PIII 750 that I'm going to put in if I
>>can figure it out (and not expecting to get all of that speed benefit
>>due to my lack of speedstep - I've also got a Celeron 500 in mine). I
>>would guess mine is the same layout as yours, but for the life of me I
>>can't find a small screw/lock - can you remember which side the
>>screw/lock is on? There hardly seems to be room on the socket. Could I
>>send you a picture of my mboard/CPU and maybe you could point me in the
>>right direction?
>

> Don't send a picture! Post a link to the image here and I'll have a look :)
>
> AlexQ.
>
> ~ Reply-to valid ~

Thanks - I'll have to find somewhere to host it, so it will probably be
awhile. I appreciate your help!

Joe
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 8:51:53 PM

Alex Quant wrote:

> "Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
>>Does anyone out there know how to remove the CPU on this line? The CPU
>>appears to be Micro-PGA2, but I can't figure out how to release it.
>>(Haven't gotten to the underside of the motherboard yet) If it's
>>Micro-PGA2 that means it wouldn't be permanently fixed, right? There is
>>some lettering on the motherboard right next to the CPU that says
>>"Lock", but there doesn't seem to be any mechanism there to release it.
>>

> The MPGA2 processor in my 4270 is not soldered in place and can be removed.
> As I recall there is a small screw/lock on the socket that needs to be
> turned in order to unlock the processor from the socket. Be careful, as it
> looks delicate and I guess is not designed for frequent manipulation! :)
>
> Are you upgrading your 4200? I'd be interested to know if its from a Celeron
> or P-III? Also, what speed and type processor are you going to use, and how
> you get on? My 4270 uses a Celeron 500MHz which is fine, but I've often felt
> a little tempted to fiddle about and stick in a slightly faster P-III
> (something like a 650MHz - anything higher would be risky thermally). My
> concern would be compatibility (voltage and Speedstep), and how the laptop
> manages the increased heat generated.
>
> AlexQ.
>
> ~ Reply-to valid ~

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 8:57:54 PM

Joe D wrote:

> Alex Quant wrote:
>
>> "Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Does anyone out there know how to remove the CPU on this line? The CPU
>>> appears to be Micro-PGA2, but I can't figure out how to release it.
>>> (Haven't gotten to the underside of the motherboard yet) If it's
>>> Micro-PGA2 that means it wouldn't be permanently fixed, right? There is
>>> some lettering on the motherboard right next to the CPU that says
>>> "Lock", but there doesn't seem to be any mechanism there to release it.
>>

>> The MPGA2 processor in my 4270 is not soldered in place and can be
>> removed.
>> As I recall there is a small screw/lock on the socket that needs to be
>> turned in order to unlock the processor from the socket. Be careful,
>> as it
>> looks delicate and I guess is not designed for frequent manipulation! :)
>>
>> Are you upgrading your 4200? I'd be interested to know if its from a
>> Celeron
>> or P-III? Also, what speed and type processor are you going to use,
>> and how
>> you get on? My 4270 uses a Celeron 500MHz which is fine, but I've
>> often felt
>> a little tempted to fiddle about and stick in a slightly faster P-III
>> (something like a 650MHz - anything higher would be risky thermally). My
>> concern would be compatibility (voltage and Speedstep), and how the
>> laptop
>> manages the increased heat generated.
>>
>> AlexQ.
>>
>> ~ Reply-to valid ~
>>

> Alex,
>
> Thanks for the reply! I've got a PIII 750 that I'm going to put in if I
> can figure it out (and not expecting to get all of that speed benefit
> due to my lack of speedstep - I've also got a Celeron 500 in mine).

If the original CPU is Cel500, I doubt if the BIOS will support
speedstep. AFAIK this means any Speedstep MMC-2 module you put in (a
PIII 750 almost certsinly would be) will snap down to about 600MHz or
so. This would mean although you'd have bigger L2 and 100MHz bus, the
overall "gain" is unlikely to be more than 25-30% - which in turn means
you'd hardly "feel" the difference - unless maybe you have quite a bit
of memory and you run some fairly heavyweight-ish business apps.

Also, you'd have to damn careful about achieving good thermal contact
between CPU core and heatsink - could quite easily get troublesome.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 23, 2004 8:57:55 PM

Martin Slaney wrote:
> Joe D wrote:
>
>> Alex Quant wrote:
>>
>>> "Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> The MPGA2 processor in my 4270 is not soldered in place and can be
>>> removed.
>>> As I recall there is a small screw/lock on the socket that needs to be
>>> turned in order to unlock the processor from the socket. Be careful,
>>> as it
>>> looks delicate and I guess is not designed for frequent manipulation! :)
>>>
>>> Are you upgrading your 4200? I'd be interested to know if its from a
>>> Celeron
>>> or P-III? Also, what speed and type processor are you going to use,
>>> and how
>>> you get on? My 4270 uses a Celeron 500MHz which is fine, but I've
>>> often felt
>>> a little tempted to fiddle about and stick in a slightly faster P-III
>>> (something like a 650MHz - anything higher would be risky thermally). My
>>> concern would be compatibility (voltage and Speedstep), and how the
>>> laptop
>>> manages the increased heat generated.
>>>
>>> AlexQ.
>>>
>>> ~ Reply-to valid ~
>>>

>> Alex,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply! I've got a PIII 750 that I'm going to put in if
>> I can figure it out (and not expecting to get all of that speed
>> benefit due to my lack of speedstep - I've also got a Celeron 500 in
>> mine).
>

> If the original CPU is Cel500, I doubt if the BIOS will support
> speedstep. AFAIK this means any Speedstep MMC-2 module you put in (a
> PIII 750 almost certsinly would be) will snap down to about 600MHz or
> so. This would mean although you'd have bigger L2 and 100MHz bus, the
> overall "gain" is unlikely to be more than 25-30% - which in turn means
> you'd hardly "feel" the difference - unless maybe you have quite a bit
> of memory and you run some fairly heavyweight-ish business apps.
>
> Also, you'd have to damn careful about achieving good thermal contact
> between CPU core and heatsink - could quite easily get troublesome.

Yes, I'm expecting to only get about 600mhz out of it, but it's more for
the fun/heck of it - it's a surplus laptop I picked up for a song, so I
thought I'd try.

Joe
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 7:16:04 AM

Alex Quant wrote:

> "Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
>>Alex Quant wrote:
>>

>>>"Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>>news:p 49ic.10346$w96.1051742@attbi_s54...
>>>
>>>[..]

>>>Don't send a picture! Post a link to the image here and I'll have a look
>
> :)
>
>>>AlexQ.
>>>
>>>~ Reply-to valid ~
>>>

>>Thanks - I'll have to find somewhere to host it, so it will probably be
>>awhile. I appreciate your help!
>

> No problem - look forward to seeing the photo :)
>
> AlexQ.
>
> ~ Reply-to valid ~

O.K. - so it's up (and I found out that it's not so easy to take
pictures of electronics!) Hope these two are good enough:

http://home.comcast.net/~dworksy/P1010006.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~dworksy/P1010002.JPG

Thanks,
Joe
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 8:03:10 PM

Alex Quant wrote:

> "Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>
> [..]
>

>>http://home.comcast.net/~dworksy/P1010006.JPG
>>http://home.comcast.net/~dworksy/P1010002.JPG
>

> Ah! It looks like your 4200's processor is soldered onto the mainboard, so
> upgrading will be near impossible :(
>
> You can see the outline for a processor socket (which I have on my 4270) and
> on the outside of the outline is a circle labled "LOCK" which is what I was
> hoping to spot.
>
> Oh well :)
>
> AlexQ.
>
> ~ Reply-to valid ~

Oh well, at least I wasn't going crazy! (I just couldn't imagine that a
4280 (mine) was that different from a 4270, but I guess it is)

Joe
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
April 24, 2004 9:22:52 PM

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 03:16:04 GMT, Joe D <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

:>Alex Quant wrote:
:>
:>> "Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
:>> news:cS9ic.10701$w96.1069729@attbi_s54...
:>>
:>>>Alex Quant wrote:
:>>>
:>>>
:>>>>"Joe D" <jdworsky@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
:>>>>news:p 49ic.10346$w96.1051742@attbi_s54...
:>>>>
:>>>>[..]
:>>>>
:>>>>
:>>>>
:>>>>>Thanks for the reply! I've got a PIII 750 that I'm going to put in if I
:>>>>>can figure it out (and not expecting to get all of that speed benefit
:>>>>>due to my lack of speedstep - I've also got a Celeron 500 in mine). I
:>>>>>would guess mine is the same layout as yours, but for the life of me I
:>>>>>can't find a small screw/lock - can you remember which side the
:>>>>>screw/lock is on? There hardly seems to be room on the socket. Could I
:>>>>>send you a picture of my mboard/CPU and maybe you could point me in the
:>>>>>right direction?
:>>>>
:>>>>
:>>>>Don't send a picture! Post a link to the image here and I'll have a look
:>>
:>> :)
:>>
:>>>>AlexQ.
:>>>>
:>>>>~ Reply-to valid ~
:>>>>
:>>>>
:>>>
:>>>Thanks - I'll have to find somewhere to host it, so it will probably be
:>>>awhile. I appreciate your help!
:>>
:>>
:>> No problem - look forward to seeing the photo :)
:>>
:>> AlexQ.
:>>
:>> ~ Reply-to valid ~
:>>
:>>
:>O.K. - so it's up (and I found out that it's not so easy to take
:>pictures of electronics!) Hope these two are good enough:
:>
:>http://home.comcast.net/~dworksy/P1010006.JPG
:>http://home.comcast.net/~dworksy/P1010002.JPG
:>
:>Thanks,
:>Joe

Looking at those pictures it would appear that your CPU chip is not socketed
but is soldered in place. I used to own a Satellite 2805-S402 that was like
that. It ueed the same system board as the S503 and S603 models but those
two had a socket for the CPU chip while my S402 was missing the socket and
had the CPU chip soldered in place. BTW, it also had the outline of the
socket on the PCB like yours.

GB
!