New Cloned Boot Drive -Assigned New Drive Letter - Won't B..

I am working on a friends computer. I installed a new
ATA133 hard drive on an appropriate controller card. I
cloned the orignial drive and then set the boot drive in
the BIOS to SCSCI. The computer seemed to boot to the
new drive because it now showed the tree on the E drive
upon initialization of Explorer. I wanted to make the
new drive letter drive C. I moved the page and print
spool files from drive C to Drive E. I proceded to
reassign the drive C to drive Z and rebooted, hoping that
drive C would now be available and I could reassign new
drive E to drive C. Now the computer comes up to the
Windows boot screen and then just sits there (in normal
and safe modes). It never gets to the log on screen. I
need to know how to get the new Z drive reassigned back
to drive C. I would also like to know how to properly
change the boot drive from drive E to drive C. Any help
would be appreciated.

I decided to re-configure the boot order in the BIOS. I
set it to boot from drive C. The computer booted fine to
the original C drive. I can see the new "boot drive"
(drive E). If I knew what file to edit and what to edit
it to on the E drive Windows installation (new boot
drive), I could change the original C drive back to C
from the Z drive I previously assigned it to and this
would un-do the error I made. I would still need to know
the correct way to make the system totally boot from the
E drive, reassign it to be the new drive C and then
delete the old operating system off the old boot drive C
so that it could be used for file storage.

I'm closer but still in a hole!

One option I see is to re-clone the orignial drive c to
the new boot drive e. This should get me back to square
one again, minus the changes I made to the new boot
drive. I will save this as a last resort.

I searched for my most recent modified files on drive e.
I immediately rebooted after re-assigning my drive C to
E. The most recent modified files I found are:

e:\windows\ntbtlog.txt modified 7:19 PM
e:\windows\debug\passwd.log modified 7:19 PM
e:\windows\system32\config\security.log modified 7:19 PM
E:\WINDOWS\BOOTSTAT.DAT modified 7:19 PM
e:\windows\debug\oakley.log modified 7:16 PM

There are a bunch of files in the
e:\windows\system32\config directory that were modified
at 7:12 PM.

I was thinking about copying these files from c drive to
the e drive and then trying to reboot from the e drive.
I would try this but am afraid of doing anything without
some guidance for fear of digging myself into a bigger
hole.

I've re-cloned the new boot drive. If someone can tell
me how to successfully change this drive from E to C, I
would appreciate it.

Bob Rodak wrote:

> I am working on a friends computer.
<snip>
> I would also like to know how to properly
> change the boot drive from drive E to drive C. Any help
> would be appreciated.

Generally speaking the procedure is to remove the old drive from the
machine before booting up with the new drive as master. That way
Windows will reassign the C: drive to the drive it booted from.

--
Himanshu (Please remove XXX from my email address to reply by email)

Bob Rodak wrote:
> I am working on a friends computer. I installed a new
> ATA133 hard drive on an appropriate controller card. I
> cloned the orignial drive and then set the boot drive in
> the BIOS to SCSCI. The computer seemed to boot to the
> new drive because it now showed the tree on the E drive
> upon initialization of Explorer. I wanted to make the
> new drive letter drive C. I moved the page and print
> spool files from drive C to Drive E. I proceded to
> reassign the drive C to drive Z and rebooted, hoping that
> drive C would now be available and I could reassign new
> drive E to drive C. Now the computer comes up to the
> Windows boot screen and then just sits there (in normal
> and safe modes). It never gets to the log on screen. I
> need to know how to get the new Z drive reassigned back
> to drive C. I would also like to know how to properly
> change the boot drive from drive E to drive C. Any help
> would be appreciated.

A proper cloned drive needs the following:

1) all data and %windir% copied (naturally)
2) ntdetect.com, ntldr, and boot.ini copied to the root of the partition
3) boot sector code and Master Boot Record copied to first sector
4) BIOS boot pointing to new disk
5) drive jumper set correctly (usually "cable select" does the job)

A lot of people fail to make proper settings when cloning partitions and
end up without 2) or 3) and if you don't change 4) then you are actually
booting from the old disk.

Check all these items, but I expect that you were still using the boot
loader from the old disk.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security