Cant decide what motherboard to get for phenom 2 x4 940

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
hey i looked at a lot of motherboard and did some research and im still not sure on which motherboard to get. My budget is 500 for the whole pc. as for the motherboard i can put about 120 bucks for it.

here are some that i looked at. Which one would be the best ?

Biostar TA790GX 128M Motherboard - AMD 790GX, AM2+ 128MB DDR2 Side-Port, ATI Hybrid, CrossFire, PCIe 2.0, Gigabit, USB2.0, RAID, HDMI/DVI

GA-MA790GP-UD4H 790GX AM3 ATX Motherboard

M4A78T-E 790GX AM3 ATX Motherboard

ASRock AOD790GX/128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX ATX AMD Motherboard

paranoidmage

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You should get the cheapest board that meets your needs. Do you want dedicated or integrated graphics?

If you want crossfire, go with 790FX or 790GX. If you only need one GPU just get 780G or 770.

I think Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H is a good, cheap board.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
i will use crossfire at some point so it has to have at least 2 gpu slots

and i will do some more research on the boards but i dont think i will find anything better ima go check out my local pc stores and see what they got.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Then there is the UD5P the only diff from the UD4P is the location of the floppy connector,,,either of these boardz will take almost any AMD cpu available now and who knows what future ones as well....:)

Guy Saults

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I got newegg's TA 790GXB A2+ and X4 940 bundle two weeks ago for $209.00. I like it. It has a nice convenient layout for my mid-tower case.

The onboard graphics chip is ATI/crossfire capable, and there is only one PCI Express X16 slot on the board. I installed a GeForce 9800 and did not have to disable the onboard video through BIOS. There are only 4 USB slots on the I/O panel, but there are three headers on the board.

The chip runs warm -- 50 degrees C, but that is to be expected for a 125 watt chip.

OBTW, that board is designed for overclocking; a similar T-series board just set the world record exceeding 6GHz.

OMG... I have been incredibly lucky picking up my X3 instead of a X4... I could have done a huge mistake!

I don't understand AMD anymore... the first BE CPUs were coming without an heat sink... and now they got 2 platform running on their top processors but with heat sink included...

Is it a way to screw up peoples or something?

I am seeing some peoples recommending Gigabyte motherboard... HAHAHAHAHA!!!

No, seriously, simply no... you can really judge a company by their worst work... and the 965P-DS3 was a nightmare of a board even with all the praise and the reviews.

It was the worst piece of hardware I have ever owned. 1 DOA and 2 other boards died within 6 month of use without any overclocking. I got sick of it and bought an Asus board. I never got a problem after that. So I build my computer... 4 times in 16 months... the same damn thing... 4 times...

If that's the kind of joke you are ready to face up, take a chance for a mere 20$ of saving... but never again for me.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
well i always thought gigabyte boards were good and you never kno what you get you can get the best brand out there and still have it die or mulfunction on you. and so far im going with the gigabyte board that gkay 09 posted. Has everything i need and a very nice price.

AMDThunder

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006

Not to be rude or anything, but posts like this make me think it has more to do with the builder than the hardware. My last 4 mobos have been Gigabyte, and all have been rock solid. Good quality boards and great for OCing.

+1

Gigabyte is a very reliable company. Don't let noobs tell you otherwise. I've also been using a GA-965P-DS3 for over 2 years with a considerable (over 1GHz) overclock and it has been rock solid. I've used Gigabyte boards in every build since then and have yet to have one fail. User error is far more common.