ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe - upgrading.

jawtunes82

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Hello all,

This is my first post and i am just looking for advice on upgrading my existing old PC.

i have a PC with an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard and want to buy some new components to get more out of it for another 24 months.

I have windows XP, an athlon 3000 1.8Ghz processor and a 128Mb Rabeon graphics card.

any advice on compatible components would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Adam

Sorry, but that's a socket 939 board so you don't have too many options for a CPU upgrade. Dual core chips for s939 boards cost a pretty penny, but if you just really want to keep the board you could hunt on ebay for a socket 939 4200X2 CPU or something. Of course, it will cost you more than a basic AM2+ motherboard with an Athlon II 240.

As for the GPU, anything you buy now can be used in your next build. If you want to keep this machine for a while though then there is no point in buying anything faster than a Radeon 4670 unless you upgrade the CPU.

jawtunes82

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

I can find ATI Radeon 4670 cards online for about £55. would they all be compatible with my motherboard?

This one is the only one currently in stock on the site i looked at, would this be ok?
XFX ATI Radeon 4670 HD 750Mhz 1GB PCI-Express 2.0 DVI.

also - is this fairly straight forward to install? I have removed my graphics card before but have never installed a new one.

Thanks again.
Adam

The 512MB version of the 4670 has slightly faster RAM and is thus a little faster in most games and settings. Still, for the longevity of your system it may be best to go with the 1GB version. Anyway yes it would be compatible with your motherboard. It is fairly straight forward to install. First download drive cleaner pro because older Radeon drivers can leave alot of stuff behind. Uninstall your drivers for your current Radeon. Reboot the machine into safe mode and run drive cleaner pro. Turn off your machine and replace your old Radeon with the new one. Turn on the machine. Install the drivers for the 4670. Be happy.