New G.skill memory

firestond

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
today i bought a Gskill memory set (2x1gb f2-6400cl5d-2gbnq) to go along with my 2x1gb kingston set (kvr800d2n5). both have a latency of 5 and use 1.8v.
the g.skill is installed in slots 1/3 (both yellow) and when i put the kingston in the 2/4(black) slots and started it up, all i got was one long continuous beep (it never stopped)
when i put the kingston in 1/3 and the g.skill in 2/4 it freezes at post when it checks the memory (doesnt list the amount, freezes right before that is shown)
the g.skill ram works, cause i can load the computer with it in the 1/3 slots by itself or the 2/4 slots by itself.

kinda ran out of ideas and was wondering if i am missing something or if maybe i need to configure something. any help is really appriciated.

Thanks

computer specs:
Motherboard : ASUS P5N-E SLI
CPU : Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
PSU : 550 W

Solution
Try increasing memory voltage to 1.9V or 2.0V. It would have been easier if you bought another kit of Kingston kvr800d2n5 instead of that G.Skill memory.

firestond

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
thanks for you reply. ive been working on this all day, and searching the net. appearently most boards don't like 4x1gb.

i have it running stable for about 1 hr now at the following settings

mem voltage: 2.1
NB voltage: 1.20
auto settings for timing (except command rate i set to 2t)
and i have it running at 667 MHz instead of 800 Mhz

just not sure now if running it at 667 mhz is worth keeping the ram or return it since it still may not be very stable (havent ran anything that would push the system) or because im not running it at what it's rated and that just seems like a waste

if anyone has any other ideas on how i could get it up too 800 mhz and be stable i would appriciate it. i've tried changing the settings but either it wont post or it just goes bsod after 5 mins

firestond

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
well so far from what ive seen is my MB doesnt like 4 sticks of ram according to the 4 pages of google ive gone through lol.

it seems pretty stable at 667 mhz, but ive seen on alot of sites it says that 800 mhz isnt stable with 4 sticks, but increasing it too 850 or 889 mhz will deal with the FB hole that 680i chipset has. my question now is if i put it up to 850 mhz will i damage the ram? i only have stock coolers in my computer, but i dont want to overheat and damage anything or will i just get BSOD if it doesnt work?

firestond

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
alright, thanks a lot for the help. i got it stable at 667 so at least i have a baseline i can fall back on. now just to try and tweak it :D

thanks again for the help

There's no reason to overvolt the ram like that if you're not overclocking it.
Set it to 1.92 ( lowest available on my P5N-E ) and manually set the timings to manufacturers spec., if it's not stable after that increase the NB to 1.36??