P7P55 WS Supercomputer - PCI Slot problems

Falselife

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
Just finished bench assembly of a computer I'm building, and I'm baffled.

Set-up went great, was actually feeling confident on my third build ever. Now that confidence has turned to confusion. Computer boots up, and then indicates via system beeps and led diag light, that there is a video card issue.

So, I swap cards. Same. Swap another card that requires no supplemental power. Same...nothing.

So I start cycling through the 5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 slots. Only one works, the white x4 slot. The other 4, the two blue x16 and the two black x16 slots aren't recognized at all - regardless of which card is where.

Here's the facts that I've notated:

1) The card with independent power (no aux cables to power supply) is only recognized by the computer in slot 3 (the 4x slot) However, the fan spins in any of the slots.

2) The 2 GTX 260's function exactly the same as each other. Fan spins when supplemental power is used. Each work in the 4x slot, but don't work in any other slot.

3) If I boot with one card in the 4x slot and another card in another slot, the computer doesn't recognize any card outside of the 4x slot. In Windows it shows the various ports under device manager, and no conflicts, but there is only one card listed.

4) I list 6 GB of ram in specs, but am currently only using one stick. But I have tried multiples as a possible solution.

Any thoughts outside of a toasty motherboard?

ASUS P7P55WS SuperComputer
Core i7 Lynnfield 860
6 GB OCZ XMP Ready PC3-12800 RAM
1000W BFG Power Supply

TRENDING THREADS