Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

New system, need suitable monitor

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 8, 2009 10:48:27 PM

i7 920 d0
Gigabyte EX58 UD5 LGA 1366
EVGA GTX 275
OCZ XMP 6gb ddr3 1600
Corsair 850w -20MIR
WD Caviar Black 640gb
Xigmatec Dark Knight
Samsung 22x SATA DVD Writer

I just put together a new system, however I need a new monitor. I'm looking for something around $200-$300, I will be running sli pretty soon and am mostly looking for performance. I'm interested to know the general consensus on which monitors are preferred for gaming these days. I'm also flexible with the size, it can be anywhere from 19" and up.

I've been researching a bit, there were a few asus and samsung's I was looking at, but overall I'm really lost here.

Very much appreciated

Lance
a b C Monitor
July 9, 2009 12:08:39 PM

:p  Better luck next time... :) 

and @lanrup when you choose a monitor, check these things...
1. For a powerful graphics setup, go with resolutions say 1920X1200 or 1080p resolution...
But if you are willing to extend the budget, then the 2560X1600 is the max to go...but these monitors, require very powerful graphics setup like tri-SLI/ Quad-fire so as to achieve max results...
So generally people tend to prefer the 1920X1200/ recent one - 1080p resolution...

2. Response time - Max 5ms (Preferred 2ms) Lower is better

3. Contrast ratio - Nowadays nearly all the monitors provide good contrast ratio...Higher is better...

4. Viewing angle - Generally 160 degree( Vertical and Horizontal)...But preferred - 170 degree or greater...

There are more but I think this is more than sufffice for selecting a good monitor...
Related resources
July 9, 2009 11:10:54 PM

At the moment i guess the only monitor that I would recommend is this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have 3 of these and they are superb. No built in speakers to get tangled with and the picture quality is top notch. The monitor was actually tested for sli and xfire and the performance compared to other monitors in the same price range is unbeatable. No dead pixels whatsoever.....

199.00 After rebate+free shipping....
July 10, 2009 3:19:01 AM

OvrClkr said:
At the moment i guess the only monitor that I would recommend is this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have 3 of these and they are superb. No built in speakers to get tangled with and the picture quality is top notch. The monitor was actually tested for sli and xfire and the performance compared to other monitors in the same price range is unbeatable. No dead pixels whatsoever.....

199.00 After rebate+free shipping....


I wouldn't choose a monitor with an oddball resolution for a gaming system.

This LG is highly recommended in Anandtech's LCD Thread.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 10, 2009 3:47:59 AM

I disagree, while the monitor that you posted (LG) LG L227WTG-PF Black 22"
is to some degree an awesome screen, it maxes out at 1680 x 1050 native. While the SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23" maxes out at 2048 x 1152 native.

I am not saying that 22" LG is a bad buy just lettin ya know that as far as gaming is concerned 1680 x 1050 is not considered "high end".

Btw 1680 x 1050 will bottleneck if he tries to SLI his 275.



July 10, 2009 4:10:16 AM

OvrClkr said:
I am not saying that 22" LG is a bad buy just lettin ya know that as far as gaming is concerned 1680 x 1050 is not considered "high end".

With a budget under $300, that's the best gaming monitor you can get. It has zero input lag.

Quote:
Btw 1680 x 1050 will bottleneck if he tries to SLI his 275.

Again, given the budget, you're not going to get a good gaming monitor that requires SLI. The bonus is that you save money.
July 10, 2009 4:11:06 AM

OvrClkr said:
I agree, but unfortunately its not future-proof....

Future-proof was not one of the requirements, and doesn't exist in the world of computers.
July 10, 2009 4:14:41 AM

I would go with any 2ms LG or SAMSUNG monitor.
July 10, 2009 4:23:59 AM

I am not gonna argue with you as far as what monitor is best or whatnot. I just find your statements hard to understand. Your last statement makes absolutely no sense at all. I guess what you want me to understand is that he will not consider SLi in the near future nor he will attempt to play at a higher res than 1680 x 1050. If that's the case then good luck gaming.

July 10, 2009 4:35:28 AM

OvrClkr said:
I am not gonna argue with you as far as what monitor is best or whatnot. I just find your statements hard to understand. Your last statement makes absolutely no sense at all. I guess what you want me to understand is that he will not consider SLi in the near future nor he will attempt to play at a higher res than 1680 x 1050. If that's the case then good luck gaming.


My monitor is only 1280x1024 and I only have a single video card. Does that mean I can't play games?
July 10, 2009 4:43:29 AM

No of course not, by no means....

I was just taking this into consideration :

i7 920 d0
Gigabyte EX58 UD5 LGA 1366
EVGA GTX 275
OCZ XMP 6gb ddr3 1600
Corsair 850w -20MIR
WD Caviar Black 640gb
Xigmatec Dark Knight
Samsung 22x SATA
DVD Writer

And since he said : "I will be running sli pretty soon and am mostly looking for performance." I thought I would give my 2 cents. I didn't mean to hijack the thread nor start a discussion. Just wanted to let you all know that the Samsung 23" is top notch and is made for Sli, that's all.........
July 10, 2009 4:57:24 AM

OvrClkr said:
No of course not, by no means....

I was just taking this into consideration :

i7 920 d0
Gigabyte EX58 UD5 LGA 1366
EVGA GTX 275
OCZ XMP 6gb ddr3 1600
Corsair 850w -20MIR
WD Caviar Black 640gb
Xigmatec Dark Knight
Samsung 22x SATA
DVD Writer

And since he said : "I will be running sli pretty soon and am mostly looking for performance." I thought I would give my 2 cents. I didn't mean to hijack the thread nor start a discussion. Just wanted to let you all know that the Samsung 23" is top notch and is made for Sli, that's all.........


If its made for SLI, does that mean the samsung 23' is not as good quality when using xfire? im planning on using ATI xfire thats why i ask.
July 10, 2009 5:41:39 AM

It is suitable for both Sli and Xfire. I have 3 of these and they still amaze me to this day. No bleed on edges and very high quality. I normally test all brands at work leaving them on for days, this way I know what works and what not to buy.

In my experience the best displays follow this order :

Samsung / LG / Hanns-G/ BenQ = Top Performers
Asus / Acer / Dell ultrasharp's / NEC = Good
Gateway / Viewsonic / HP / = Average
July 10, 2009 6:39:49 AM

wheres BenQ in that list?
they have good prices here in AUS, and good specs on their 24" monitor 1920x1200
July 10, 2009 6:44:02 AM

OvrClkr said:
and is made for Sli, that's all.........


There's no such thing as a monitor made for CF or SLI.

I agree that Samsung LCDs are good, I have one myself. But the LG is a better gaming monitor than that Samsung (and mine).

My point is that for a good gaming monitor with resolution over 16x10, you'll need to spend more than $300. (ie BenQ G2400WD, Acer G24)
July 10, 2009 6:47:52 AM

micky_lund said:
wheres BenQ in that list?
they have good prices here in AUS, and good specs on their 24" monitor 1920x1200


Im sorry for leaving that one out...There are many different vendors... hard to remember all of them 8)
July 10, 2009 6:55:24 AM

theAnimal said:
There's no such thing as a monitor made for CF or SLI.

I agree that Samsung LCDs are good, I have one myself. But the LG is a better gaming monitor than that Samsung (and mine).

My point is that for a good gaming monitor with resolution over 16x10, you'll need to spend more than $300. (ie BenQ G2400WD, Acer G24)


Of course it wasn't made specifically for SLi/xfire. As far as the resolution goes they are Sli and xfire ready meaning they wont bottleneck due to low resolutions with such high scalability . Dude im done with this thread... I came here to help and ended up arguing with a noob that seems to think he knows it all. I guess I came to the wrong thread at the wrong time.. You guys have a good night.....

July 10, 2009 7:17:53 AM

OvrClkr said:
a noob

I'm not the one who recommended a 2048x1152 for a gaming monitor. How many games offer this resolution?
July 10, 2009 7:25:10 AM

OvrClkr said:
At the moment i guess the only monitor that I would recommend is this :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have 3 of these and they are superb. No built in speakers to get tangled with and the picture quality is top notch. The monitor was actually tested for sli and xfire and the performance compared to other monitors in the same price range is unbeatable. No dead pixels whatsoever.....

199.00 After rebate+free shipping....


I wondered if you had any experience/opinions/impressions with this slightly lower model?
Samsung SyncMaster 2243SWX 21.5IN Widescreen LCD Monitor 1920X1080 15000:1 16:9 5ms VGA DVI-D 1080P

http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=1404127669K&v...

thx

sigh
.
July 10, 2009 2:48:48 PM

For the price i dont think you will find a better monitor. That is my opinion.....

179.88$ Can = 154.00 US$

21.5" 1920X1080 / 1080P for 154.00$ very nice........
July 10, 2009 3:02:58 PM

OvrClkr said:
For the price i dont think you will find a better monitor. That is my opinion.....

179.88$ Can = 154.00 US$

21.5" 1920X1080 / 1080P for 154.00$ very nice........



now if im going to be running a xfire setup at some point in the future it would be wise to go with this monitor? I will be using it for almost exclusively for gaming purposes.
July 10, 2009 3:30:42 PM

Yes Sir, that monitor has a very good native resolution. 1920x1080 is plenty for xfire..And at that price you cant go wrong....
!