Closed Solved

Over-clocking ATI Radeon 4650 HD

Salam again guys n gals

I want to ask that wud i get a significant increase in performance if i over-clock my Axle 4650 HD???? I hav an Antec ea-430d (sumthng.... :P) power supply. Plz help. Thnk u. :)
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about over clocking radeon 4650
  1. welcome to the forums, newcomer!

    akhi! we need to know your entire system specs to answer this lil question.

    we need to know what games you run with that GPU @ what res and how many FPS you're getting.

    post back with these answers and we'll move on from there.

    Was'salaam akhi!
  2. Well, don't expect miracles from a 4650. As above, we need more information, but if the 4650 is not up to snuff for what you are doing, I am going to go out on a limb and say no amount of overclocking is going to make it a whole lot better.
  3. Lutfij said:
    welcome to the forums, newcomer!

    akhi! we need to know your entire system specs to answer this lil question.

    we need to know what games you run with that GPU @ what res and how many FPS you're getting.

    post back with these answers and we'll move on from there.

    Was'salaam akhi!


    man my sys specs : core 2 duo e4600 @2.4 ghz 3gb ddr2 ram dg31pr motherboard and an antec ea-430d (dnt mock me if i got the number wrong... :P) n as 4 the fps i m not sure bt i knw tht i get round 'bout 30-35 in nfs hot pursuit. can ya tel how to check the fps in my other games like cod mw1 mw2 black ops n other games like dmc 4 n stuff. if u need even more info just tell me how to get it n i wil thnx man. :)
  4. jitpublisher said:
    Well, don't expect miracles from a 4650. As above, we need more information, but if the 4650 is not up to snuff for what you are doing, I am going to go out on a limb and say no amount of overclocking is going to make it a whole lot better.

    no man its not like as if my card's not doin well its works gr8 in all of the games i play i mentioned in my reply to lutfij (u can check my sys specs there as well) n its like i really want to over clock it. i wil only oc it if i get about ~20-25% increase in performance widout it affecting other factors.
  5. Best answer
    here's my opinion;

    1| this isn't a msn chatroom, so don't abbreviate the words unless your keyboard has missing letters.

    2| Intel have a lot of processors out, the can be anywhere from a E4300~QX9770, ok, you check out fine with the E4600.

    3| FPS can be checked via a software, FRAPS google it and you'll find it.

    4| You have a G31 chipset board, they aren't capable of OC the CPU (and by that the ram as well). When i say unable to OC cpu, the mobo should be capable of OC'ing the CPU and the ram to bring about a full package in an OC'ing session.

    OC'ing GPU won't bring any benefit for you(we are yet to find out from you, what monitor and resolution you operate...)

    5| don't make double posts to address individual posts...its a serious offense here @ Tom's (even using shorthand language)

    6| is the 4670 a DDR2 vers. or a DDR3 vers. with all this blah blah, you're better off getting a newer GPU or a whole new system overall, a Sandy Bridge.

    7| getting a higher GPU, will need more juice out of your PSU, that 430W should take its final stage call...

    my 2 cents :)
  6. Lutfij said:
    here's my opinion;

    1| this isn't a msn chatroom, so don't abbreviate the words unless your keyboard has missing letters.

    2| Intel have a lot of processors out, the can be anywhere from a E4300~QX9770, ok, you check out fine with the E4600.

    3| FPS can be checked via a software, FRAPS google it and you'll find it.

    4| You have a G31 chipset board, they aren't capable of OC the CPU (and by that the ram as well). When i say unable to OC cpu, the mobo should be capable of OC'ing the CPU and the ram to bring about a full package in an OC'ing session.

    OC'ing GPU won't bring any benefit for you(we are yet to find out from you, what monitor and resolution you operate...)

    5| don't make double posts to address individual posts...its a serious offense here @ Tom's (even using shorthand language)

    6| is the 4670 a DDR2 vers. or a DDR3 vers. with all this blah blah, you're better off getting a newer GPU or a whole new system overall, a Sandy Bridge.

    7| getting a higher GPU, will need more juice out of your PSU, that 430W should take its final stage call...

    my 2 cents :)

    Alright then I will try your advice then and my monitor is a hp 1702 (I like to stick to old stuff I really only upgrade my pc when I really need it.) The resolution I usually play games at is 1024x768 because it works ok for me. And my card is a 4650 not 4670 and its the ddr2 version. As for your final piece of advice I will probably upgrade my pc in about 3 or 4 months and I will most probably get a. i3 or i5 depending on which 1 is available here in KSA. Thank you for your advice man it has really helped me out on what to do and if your saying that it won't make a big difference if I OC my card then i will get the 5770 on my upgrade. Jazak Allah. :)
  7. wa'iyaka akhi!

    the 5770 is a real great bang-for-buck card i have it running on my bro's i5-750 pc without an OC running on a Samsung P2250 @ 1920x1080 res.

    but by the next 3~4 months, you'll get to see newer hardware and cooler running GPU's.

    If your interested in getting;
    a CPU - check here
    a GPU - check here

    mind you akhi, the chart gets updated every month around the 1st~2nd week of each month.

    I suggest sticking around and lurking in the forums as well as doing some research, btw, stay away from the 1st gen core i processors - they might seem cheap but they are obsolete and lesser when compared to their 2nd gen older bro.

    PM me if you'd need any help, and you can start a new thread over at the Systems section, newbuilt sub-section.

    for a 17" monitor, you can run @ 1280x1024(win7 natively runs at 1280x1024) when you get a beafier card (provided you're sticking to the 17" monitor.
  8. Lutfij said:
    wa'iyaka akhi!

    the 5770 is a real great bang-for-buck card i have it running on my bro's i5-750 pc without an OC running on a Samsung P2250 @ 1920x1080 res.

    but by the next 3~4 months, you'll get to see newer hardware and cooler running GPU's.

    If your interested in getting;
    a CPU - check here
    a GPU - check here

    mind you akhi, the chart gets updated every month around the 1st~2nd week of each month.

    I suggest sticking around and lurking in the forums as well as doing some research, btw, stay away from the 1st gen core i processors - they might seem cheap but they are obsolete and lesser when compared to their 2nd gen older bro.

    PM me if you'd need any help, and you can start a new thread over at the Systems section, newbuilt sub-section.

    for a 17" monitor, you can run @ 1280x1024(win7 natively runs at 1280x1024) when you get a beafier card (provided you're sticking to the 17" monitor.

    Thanks for all your help man. I will be sure to ask you again when my next upgrade will be near. Yeah I will try to get a 2nd gen. i core processor but that depends on what's available here in KSA. :lol: I would have gotten a card way better than the 4650 if it would have been available. Hell I was going to get a 5770 but I was really stumped when I found it's not comapitible with my system. :( But the 4650 was the only good card there so I had no choice.... But insha Allah I will get a beasty system on my next upgrade. :)
  9. ^ funny we've been exchanging posts and you didn't mention that you could've gotten a 5770 up until now...you have one PCI-X16 slot, so that qualifies as a candidate for a 5770!

    specs

    but we need to know which version of x16 1.x you have because if its a 1.1 you're in good hands to get another high end GPU (that you may carry over to your new system) but if its 1.0 then you're entitled to a system overhaul!

    thumb rule;

    PSU, case and HDD are parts that should remain as constants
    CPU, mobo and ram will change constantly
    GPU will gradually change, over time being recycled or moving onto future builds
  10. Lutfij said:
    ^ funny we've been exchanging posts and you didn't mention that you could've gotten a 5770 up until now...you have one PCI-X16 slot, so that qualifies as a candidate for a 5770!

    specs

    but we need to know which version of x16 1.x you have because if its a 1.1 you're in good hands to get another high end GPU (that you may carry over to your new system) but if its 1.0 then you're entitled to a system overhaul!

    thumb rule;

    PSU, case and HDD are parts that should remain as constants
    CPU, mobo and ram will change constantly
    GPU will gradually change, over time being recycled or moving onto future builds

    Are you serious man?!? I took my CPU to the shop and told the guy to check if the 5770 works. He was almost 100% sure that it won't work 'cause he told me that GDDR5 isn't compatible with my system. I told him put it in anyway 'cause my uncle told me that the 5770 is the best choice for me for now. But as it turned out the monitor wasn't diplaying any thing . So then I decided to get the 4650. But like I told you, on my next upgrade I will get a new processor, motherboard, GPU and possibly a new HDD, the one I have right now is 160 GB, which isn't enough for me at all. And I have said above I will get everything on my next upgrade, I am not feeling the need to change the GPU just now.
  11. Quote:
    I am not feeling the need to change the GPU just now.
    that seals the deal for me :)

    then thtis thread is solved, select best answer(if there are any) and we can close this thread goodbye.

    Though you could start a new thread on selecting parts for a new build. Be sure to check up the systems section at our forums.

    *for your(current) machine getting anything over a 5570 would be a waste of performance, but if you intend to carry over the 5770 over to the new build then thas a good GPU option. Then again with todays prices and budget, I think you can get a 6850.
  12. Lutfij said:
    Quote:
    I am not feeling the need to change the GPU just now.
    that seals the deal for me :)

    then thtis thread is solved, select best answer(if there are any) and we can close this thread goodbye.

    Though you could start a new thread on selecting parts for a new build. Be sure to check up the systems section at our forums.

    *for your(current) machine getting anything over a 5570 would be a waste of performance, but if you intend to carry over the 5770 over to the new build then thas a good GPU option. Then again with todays prices and budget, I think you can get a 6850.

    Alright man thanks. Will do for me now. I'll be sure to give you a buzz if I need to ask anything. Again, thanks for helping me out! :)
  13. Best answer selected by Wajih_Hyder.
  14. and thank YOU for the vote!
  15. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Radeon HD ATI Overclocking