Sign in with
Your question

Real problem, corruptions and disks inaccessable - eek!

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2010 8:43:29 PM

Hi guys

Hopefully someone can help I'm having real problems with a new system I've built.

The system is:
Intel i7 920
6GB Corsair DDR3
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard
BFG 8800GTX
Enermax PSU
x1 Crucial SSD boot drive
x2 Samsung F3 1TB
X2 1.5TB Western Digital
X4 Samsung F1 1TB
(so many HDDs as it's a video encoding maching as well as an htpc)
Black Gold 3500 TV Card
Windows 7 Pro 64bit

When I boot up everything is fine, but after a while, if I try to access Steam for example which is on my E drive, it may say it is inaccessible.

E drive is fine, but the games folder is apparently corrupted and unable to be accessed. Rebooting fixes this.

Up until now it has been confined to the E drive but now it has thrown up an error on F drive, and now on the G drive (which I am currently doing photoshop work on) and am rather worried as since rebooting I have been greeted with a black screen and it says

"One of your disks need to be checked for consistency. You may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.
Corrupt master file table. Windows will attempt to recocer master file table from disk."

The HDD light is constantly on now and it's still at that screen so I guess that's what it's doing...it's been like it for about 15 minutes now.

I have had issues with this system before with drives not being recognised which I put down to the motherboard. Basically all the 10 SATA slots are filled but when it POSTs it doesn't show any HDDs in the last set of drives, says they are empty. They still show up in Windows so I haven't really bothered about it before now.

What I really need to know is:
1. What could be causing either drives or certain folder within drives to become corrupted.

2. How on earth can I fix it?

3. How long is it likely to take to recover this master boot record on a 1.5TB drive? I've got Photoshop work to do tonight

Whether it is of any consequence or not I don't know but the drives that corrupt are always on the first set of six SATA ports, the blue ones.
The white SATA ports which I believe have a different controller have always worked fine, none of the 4 1TB F1 drives attached to them have ever had a problem.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.
January 2, 2010 9:33:43 PM

Another quick question...I'm supposing it's trying to recover the master boot record on this drive (not a boot drive)...is it possible to cancel that...the only way possible seems to be reboot it...or do I need to leave it where it is.

May be a daft question but I might need to power off the PC soon and it's been in the same state for about an hour now...how long do you have to give it?
January 3, 2010 5:52:50 AM

LEAVE IT RUNNING ITS TRYING TO FIX IT...
sorry for the caps but are you crazy... your computer is trying to fix it self and you reboot...
let the thing run and u might be lucky to get your data back
January 3, 2010 11:20:24 AM

I just went through something very close. Harddrives (2) going out or losing info. Mine turned out to be Power supply. After changing PS I used a program from Western Digital and recovered the HDD and Im using those as backups. My PS checked good, but would wipe the HDD's clean in 2 hours. Changed it a no problems for the pass 6 wks. Hope this helps.
!