Sign in with
Your question

I need help restoring my windows xp system

Last response: in Windows XP
December 17, 2011 6:50:24 AM

I need to restore my windows xp system. The Start button>All Programs doesn't show "Accessories" but I got to a Help page that had info about restoring the system. However, when I put in the earlier date and clicked "Next", nothing happened. HELP!
December 19, 2011 6:48:47 AM

skytopper said:
I need to restore my windows xp system. The Start button>All Programs doesn't show "Accessories" but I got to a Help page that had info about restoring the system. However, when I put in the earlier date and clicked "Next", nothing happened. HELP!

Attempt the restore in Safe Mode.
December 26, 2011 4:24:09 AM

ksiemb said:
Attempt the restore in Safe Mode.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I've been unable to get into the "Safe Mode". I hit F8 when rebooting, but it doesn't help. Any thoughts?

Larry
Related resources
December 26, 2011 7:12:17 AM

skytopper said:
Thank you for the suggestion, but I've been unable to get into the "Safe Mode". I hit F8 when rebooting, but it doesn't help. Any thoughts?

Larry

You unfortunately have classic signs of an infected computer, especially with F8 safe mode disabled. Was the date you were trying to restore from high lighted in blue on the calendar selection, meaning a restore point was available to restore from ? Does "All Programs" or hitting the "Windows" keyboard key bring up anything that allows you to run your Antivirus Scan ?

And I am assuming, you pressed F8 immediately after the 1st splash screen was displayed on boot into safe mode, as if you hit it too late in the boot process, you won't get into safe mode.

With no safe mode available, alternatives left, IMO, are:
1 - Boot from Windows CD - repair Install Windows OS.
2 - From a working computer download & burn a bootable rescue CD
to boot from.
3 - Restore to Factory Settings (but you lose all your non OS data & files)
December 26, 2011 7:56:17 AM

Where did you put this date? Did your Help page suggest type rstrui.exe in at the Command Prompt? If that didn't start up the System Restore GUI utility and offer you a date, you can't just pick one at random and expect there to be a Restore Point of that date.

Unlike ksiemb, I've never seen Safe Mode disabled by malware - maybe your keyboard wasn't active at the stage you were tapping F8. Is this a Packard Bell machine?

If you can work in Normal Mode, go Start then Run and onto the Open box type msconfig and hit Enter. Under the BOOT.INI tab, tick /SAFEBOOT then click Apply and OK. Restart and you won't need to tap F8 but you will need to reverse that change later or Safe Mode is all you'll ever see.

December 26, 2011 5:19:38 PM

ksiemb said:
You unfortunately have classic signs of an infected computer, especially with F8 safe mode disabled. Was the date you were trying to restore from high lighted in blue on the calendar selection, meaning a restore point was available to restore from ? Does "All Programs" or hitting the "Windows" keyboard key bring up anything that allows you to run your Antivirus Scan ?

And I am assuming, you pressed F8 immediately after the 1st splash screen was displayed on boot into safe mode, as if you hit it too late in the boot process, you won't get into safe mode.

With no safe mode available, alternatives left, IMO, are:
1 - Boot from Windows CD - repair Install Windows OS.
2 - From a working computer download & burn a bootable rescue CD
to boot from.
3 - Restore to Factory Settings (but you lose all your non OS data & files)

Thanks again for your suggestions - and no, it doesn't show my Avast anti-virus program exists. In fact, when hit the start button, I no longer see my Accessories so I don't even have access to my Calculator.

Happy New Year !! ???
December 26, 2011 5:21:49 PM

Saga Lout said:

Where did you put this date? Did your Help page suggest type rstrui.exe in at the Command Prompt? If that didn't start up the System Restore GUI utility and offer you a date, you can't just pick one at random and expect there to be a Restore Point of that date.

Unlike ksiemb, I've never seen Safe Mode disabled by malware - maybe your keyboard wasn't active at the stage you were tapping F8. Is this a Packard Bell machine?

If you can work in Normal Mode, go Start then Run and onto the Open box type msconfig and hit Enter. Under the BOOT.INI tab, tick /SAFEBOOT then click Apply and OK. Restart and you won't need to tap F8 but you will need to reverse that change later or Safe Mode is all you'll ever see.

December 26, 2011 5:23:10 PM

Saga Lout said:

Thanks, "saga". I'll try your solution later today (Monday) and get back to you.

Larry
December 26, 2011 7:36:40 PM

Saga Lout said:

Hi again saga,

I did what you suggested and got to the Help and Support Center. I picked the Task "Undo changes ... with System Restore" and selected a highlighted restore point (e.g. 7:53:43 AM December 1, 2011) and clicked on "Next". The "Confirm Restore Point Selection" screen appeared prompting me to clink "Next". I did, but nothing has happened.

Any other thoughts? Thanks anyway.

Larry
December 27, 2011 6:40:49 AM

How long did you leave it before deciding it was doing nothing - I've known it take half an hour.

It may be that those Restore Points are no longer valid so we need to know more about the problem you're trying to restore to cure, so we can help you get over it.

Later when it's working properly, turn off System Restore in Control Panel>System>System Restore then restart to delete all the RPs. When you turn it back on, reset the slider to 5% to get fewer but better RPs.

!