Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Connecting 2 120mm Yate Loon's to mobo, only have PSU Molex

Last response: in Overclocking
July 25, 2011 8:41:25 PM

Hi,

I ordered 2 lovely fans for my h60 from Danger Den but unfortunately the fans only have a 4 pin PSU Molex connection wired up to them. Is there anyway for me to hook these up up to my mobo header? IE: What adapters/cables do I need to purchase to make this happen. I have not been able to find a perfect cable/adapter for this yet. I really want my mobo to control the voltage going to these fans so I do not have to listen to them at full speed all the time
July 25, 2011 10:30:10 PM

elrui said:
Hi,

I ordered 2 lovely fans for my h60 from Danger Den but unfortunately the fans only have a 4 pin PSU Molex connection wired up to them. Is there anyway for me to hook these up up to my mobo header? IE: What adapters/cables do I need to purchase to make this happen. I have not been able to find a perfect cable/adapter for this yet. I really want my mobo to control the voltage going to these fans so I do not have to listen to them at full speed all the time

Wonder where I can buy one of these with a female end instead of male

m
l

Best solution

a c 130 K Overclocking
July 25, 2011 10:45:45 PM
Related resources
July 25, 2011 10:50:48 PM

Best answer selected by elrui.
m
l
July 25, 2011 10:58:17 PM

Actually that cable will not work any better than plugging it directly to PSU due to missing the yellow wire on the mobo connector. Boo. Would just run wide open.
m
l
a c 130 K Overclocking
July 25, 2011 11:09:34 PM

elrui said:
Actually that cable will not work any better than plugging it directly to PSU due to missing the yellow wire on the mobo connector. Boo. Would just run wide open.

OOPS!
You may need different fans.
If a fan comes with just a molex connector, it will not have the third speed sensing cable.

Do you have a link to the fans?
m
l
July 25, 2011 11:14:21 PM

geofelt said:
OOPS!
You may need different fans.
If a fan comes with just a molex connector, it will not have the third speed sensing cable.

Do you have a link to the fans?

Yeah after more research they are only adjustable by using an actual fan controller. Boo. I am bummed now. Will have to hook them up and see how bad they are, have a feeling it will be fairly unbearable though. Was happy because they were cheaper than Scythe/Noctua but if I have to buy a fan controller and 2 adapters for each for to hook into the fan controller not going to be worth the price difference. Bummer.
m
l
a c 130 K Overclocking
July 25, 2011 11:21:53 PM

elrui said:
Yeah after more research they are only adjustable by using an actual fan controller. Boo. I am bummed now. Will have to hook them up and see how bad they are, have a feeling it will be fairly unbearable though. Was happy because they were cheaper than Scythe/Noctua but if I have to buy a fan controller and 2 adapters for each for to hook into the fan controller not going to be worth the price difference. Bummer.

Yate loons are very quiet. You may find that the constant sound is less annoying than a variable one.

Try them first.
m
l
July 25, 2011 11:23:38 PM

geofelt said:
Yate loons are very quiet. You may find that the constant sound is less annoying than a variable one.

Try them first.

I have the 2200 rpm variety for my h60 rad, so it's going to be mashed right up against it, maybe if im pessimistic I won't be let down!
m
l
a c 130 K Overclocking
July 25, 2011 11:32:53 PM

elrui said:
I have the 2200 rpm variety for my h60 rad, so it's going to be mashed right up against it, maybe if im pessimistic I won't be let down!

If you reduce the fan voltage from 12v to 7v, it will run slower.
Here is how:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83...

5v is possible, but some fans won't start at that low voltage.
m
l
July 26, 2011 12:54:08 AM

geofelt said:
If you reduce the fan voltage from 12v to 7v, it will run slower.
Here is how:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=83...

5v is possible, but some fans won't start at that low voltage.

Ok so it isn't unbearable but I am not sure I want to hear this all of the time. As a stand alone case fan they seem like they would be very quiet but when pushed up again the rad the noise level just goes up a lot. I will have to get a pci slot fan controller or something for them.
m
l
!