Connecting 2 120mm Yate Loon's to mobo, only have PSU Molex

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
Hi,

I ordered 2 lovely fans for my h60 from Danger Den but unfortunately the fans only have a 4 pin PSU Molex connection wired up to them. Is there anyway for me to hook these up up to my mobo header? IE: What adapters/cables do I need to purchase to make this happen. I have not been able to find a perfect cable/adapter for this yet. I really want my mobo to control the voltage going to these fans so I do not have to listen to them at full speed all the time

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Wonder where I can buy one of these with a female end instead of male

4636178c.jpg

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I found that right as I got the e-mail that I had a response to this thread. Ordered!

Thanks for looking!

OOPS!
You may need different fans.
If a fan comes with just a molex connector, it will not have the third speed sensing cable.

Do you have a link to the fans?

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Yeah after more research they are only adjustable by using an actual fan controller. Boo. I am bummed now. Will have to hook them up and see how bad they are, have a feeling it will be fairly unbearable though. Was happy because they were cheaper than Scythe/Noctua but if I have to buy a fan controller and 2 adapters for each for to hook into the fan controller not going to be worth the price difference. Bummer.

Yate loons are very quiet. You may find that the constant sound is less annoying than a variable one.

Try them first.

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

I have the 2200 rpm variety for my h60 rad, so it's going to be mashed right up against it, maybe if im pessimistic I won't be let down!

elrui

Distinguished
May 28, 2011

Ok so it isn't unbearable but I am not sure I want to hear this all of the time. As a stand alone case fan they seem like they would be very quiet but when pushed up again the rad the noise level just goes up a lot. I will have to get a pci slot fan controller or something for them.