Sign in with
Your question

How to Disable a SATA Port on ASUS P5N-D Motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 2, 2010 9:28:34 PM

I have a Windows 7 system running on an ASUS P5D-N motherboard. I use all four internal SATA ports for hard drives. My problem arose when I purchased an external eSATA Blu-ray writer (Plextor PX-B940SA). The Blu-ray writer requires its own SATA port, so I bought and installed a PCIe card (Rosewill RC-216) with an onboard JMicron JMB36X controller that provides two external SATA ports. Problem is the JMicron JMB36X controller conflicts with something in my setup, creating intermittent mouse and major Blu-ray writer issues. Is this an IRQ conflict? If so, is there a procedure to disable one (just one) of my SATA ports on the P5D-N motherboard to free an IRQ for the JMicron JMB36x? (I've tried physically disconnecting one of the SATA drives but that doesn't make a difference, and I'd like to try disabling a SATA port in the BIOS but I can't figure out how to do it.) Is there some other work-around? Thanks in advance to all you experts out there.
January 2, 2010 9:43:53 PM

uhhhhhhh

doubtful.....

its more likely a driver issue than a port issue.....
m
l
January 3, 2010 1:49:02 AM

Yep, driver issue.

Had a similar problem with my onboard jmicron (same as yours) last year.

Updating the driver did it.

P.S :

Don't try a beta.

My vista never booted again.

Brad
m
l
Related resources
January 3, 2010 2:28:37 PM

Thanks for the responses. I tried updating the driver, as suggested, to V.1.1, but Windows 7 tells me that V1.0 is the latest driver. The Rosewill website offers the following additional downloads, but I don't know whether any of them would be helpful (would running one or all of them maybe allow me to install the V.1.1 driver?):

RC-216 BIOS Flashing Utility V1.1
RC-216 Firmware ver 1.06.70
Trouble shooting - BIOS flashing V1.0

I'm not a total rookie, but I'm hesitating to make BIOS or firmware changes (I'm not even sure how to go about using these downloads, because they come without instructions or read.me files). Any suggestions of how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
January 10, 2010 2:53:39 PM

I'm told by Rosewill tech support and other experts that the problem is indeed an IRQ issue. So many devices, so few IRQs. Sharing only goes so far.

Thanks, anyway.
m
l
!