Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Messing with my BCLOCK on an 15 2500k

Last response: in Overclocking
July 25, 2011 10:59:11 PM

During my search on OC'ing my 2500k I noticed that my Mobo would vary my Bclock (this was early days.. using Auto OC). So now I have got the OC via turbo/ offset vcore adjustment down pat I thought I would try and fiddle with my BCLOCK manually.

My Mobo lets me make the adjustments in the UEFI. I have just set the BCLOCK at 101.00, no volt changes to Vcore or anything else. I get an idle speed of 1616Mhz and my Kingston Hyperx Genesis Ram is running at 1616 instead of 1600.

Now so far I have only run an hour of Prime 95 blend test with no faults. I do not consider this a worthehile test so do not rely on it at all. I would like some input before I go further into testing.

My Questions are:

1. with all the comments on the thread about not touching the BCLOCK am I totally doing the wrong thing here?

2. Is it possible to overheat my ram as they are not Liquid cooled?

3. Do I dare go for a higher BClock?

I know that the BCLOCK adjustment is only giving me 1% gain atm, but I just would like to tidy up the bottom end performance of the chip as when I am doing the usual windows, outlook, AVG, etc etc the load on the cores does not kick my machine to its OC'ed Turbo State.

Regards
Lex

More about : messing bclock 2500k

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2011 11:14:21 PM

It's not possible for RAM to Overheat only if you go far past 3000MHz or so... You can try 120BCLK and set your ram to 1800MHz with a voltage of 1.65v(Or 1.6v) and see if stable, if not, change the timing to something like 9-9-9-24(or 27) or 9-10-9-24(Or 27) and your set(I got a 1800MHz KHX Genesis RAM too and OC to 2009MHz right now at 9-10-9-24)... I Got no experience with SB b4 so I'd suggest try little at a time but start with 120BCLK also OC your CPU for superior stable(Took my CPU to 3.84GHz to get stable with 2009MHz)... It may give you lower vCore or High OC with same vCore as other people LOL...
July 25, 2011 11:35:24 PM

You wont hit 120 blck, with SB you can only change the bclk by~5% before you crash. highest i've seen was in a review of gigabyte z68x-ud7 vs asus maximus iv (2 of the best and most expensive current mobo's) and they maxed out blck at 108.

This isn't first hand knowledge as I'm still building my SB machine but I've done a fair bit of researching. I actually posted about increasing bclk on SB recently and the consensus was it's not that it's a bad idea, it's just minimal gain and you can just change the multiplier for the cpu to crank it up and change the multiplier for the ram to increase it.

If you want to increase low-end performance you can disable some features in bios that put your cpu into idle mode (x16 multiplier) and you will then run at max power all the time, though it's probably not good for your electricity bill or your CPU's life expectancy.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
July 25, 2011 11:51:23 PM

benikens said:
You wont hit 120 blck, with SB you can only change the bclk by~5% before you crash. highest i've seen was in a review of gigabyte z68x-ud7 vs asus maximus iv (2 of the best and most expensive current mobo's) and they maxed out blck at 108.

This isn't first hand knowledge as I'm still building my SB machine but I've done a fair bit of researching. I actually posted about increasing bclk on SB recently and the consensus was it's not that it's a bad idea, it's just minimal gain and you can just change the multiplier for the cpu to crank it up and change the multiplier for the ram to increase it.

If you want to increase low-end performance you can disable some features in bios that put your cpu into idle mode (x16 multiplier) and you will then run at max power all the time, though it's probably not good for your electricity bill or your CPU's life expectancy.

LOL 108 BCLK... Why is Unlocked Multiplier so difficult to OC with BCLK? I know that they ain't meant for BCLK Overclocking but how did these i7-9XX OC with BCLK?
July 26, 2011 12:44:40 AM

@ both Legend and Benekins.

First off thanks for your ideas guys

@ Legend.. it crapped itself when I tried a 103BCLOCK.. i will have to do more reading to see if altering vcore will help me with that. (remenbering that i was using minimum vcore to avoid BSOD at idle states.OFFSET style OC)

@Benekins, even if I do a fixed voltage OC and disable speed step it will still idle @ 1.6GHZ even if there are volts enough for a 4.7Ghz under load. It does seem that the chip needs to have a certain amount of work thrown at it before it engages Turbo Mode.

@ all readers.. maybe I am being too number oriented.. I can accept that is a valid criticism.. but I do want to find out what my chip can do. In my view 1616/4343 is bigger than 1600/4300. Once I have the Bclock idea sorted properly I might be running 16XX/4XXX or better with a little bit of thought.

Regards
Lex

August 5, 2011 12:51:58 AM

Best answer selected by Lex_Sinistre.
August 5, 2011 12:53:00 AM

legendkiller said:
It's not possible for RAM to Overheat only if you go far past 3000MHz or so... You can try 120BCLK and set your ram to 1800MHz with a voltage of 1.65v(Or 1.6v) and see if stable, if not, change the timing to something like 9-9-9-24(or 27) or 9-10-9-24(Or 27) and your set(I got a 1800MHz KHX Genesis RAM too and OC to 2009MHz right now at 9-10-9-24)... I Got no experience with SB b4 so I'd suggest try little at a time but start with 120BCLK also OC your CPU for superior stable(Took my CPU to 3.84GHz to get stable with 2009MHz)... It may give you lower vCore or High OC with same vCore as other people LOL...

From you I learnt about about when RAM overheats thank you

Lex
!