Mubarak Steps Down as Egyptian President

Status
Not open for further replies.
Around 40 minutes ago Hosni Mubarak stepped down as Egypt's president. The military's high council will run the country in the interim. It's incredible watching the coverage of the people celebrating in the streets of Cairo and Alexandria. I'm very impressed with this "revolt" in the sense that it was non-violent for the most part and the military did not step in and quash it.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/02/11/egypt.protests/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

It could end well. For it to though, the military has to support a degree of democracy and diversity in regard to parties with different ideals. Will that happen? I won't say that it will not, but things will have to go better than smooth. I guess we'll see in the coming weeks if a date is set for elections and whether or not they allow for the formation of various political parties from a legal standpoint.

mw14220

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Egypt may have some civilian/military provisional govt for a while but then so did the Russians after their overthrow of the Czar in 1917. The Kerensky govt could not hold on to power and was forced out by the Reds,who then fought a civil war with the Whites. The MB is very organized and has been around for all most 100 yrs. My money is on them. I think also their younger members are more willing to bleed for the MB than the college students and family type protesters are for some type of fuzzy democracy idea.

iggybeans

Distinguished
May 19, 2008

You sound like Glen Beck and he is clearly crazy.
You see a peaceful demonstration leading to the fall of a dictator as a threat.
I only hope more of this happens around the world.
Wherever there is a free press to document these demonstrations, the will of the people will be indomitable.

Leave it to a right wing head case to find this threatening.
My congratulations to all the proud people of Egypt for striving for what we in the US take for granted.

I don't think that the Muslim Brotherhood is as bad as they once were, as they have become a lot more centrist. Then again, it could be a PR ploy of sorts so they have an in road to power. I guess everything remains to be seen over the coming months.

iggybeans

Distinguished
May 19, 2008

We have Muslim all over the United States and they don't seem focused on Jihad. The US conservative right has attempted to portray all of Islam as evil and all Muslims as potentially dangerous.
I saw no demonstrator violence at this protest, except on the side of the President's thugs.

We are better off without "partners" like this. We have sullied ourselves participating in ugly practices like torture and "rendition". We backed Politicians out of self interest rather than our stated goal of global democracy.

I feel embarrassed when I see foolish comments like the ones posted earlier. As long as some of us are not free, then there is something wrong in this world. We should support our brothers when they struggle for the freedom we so often claim to believe in.

Unfortunately, for any form of revolution to occur, people die, peaceful or overtly violent. I wish it was so in the case of Egypt, as the protests were for the most part very peaceful, not to mention well organized. However, if things go well in the coming months for Egypt to get on track for at least a degree of democracy, I believe that those who perished did not perish in vain.

Mubarak won't be getting mummified and buried in one of those pyramids now ... he has blown it big time.

He shouldn't have stopped the sacrifices to Ra.

They were on top of the world a couple of thousand years back.

Look what "progress" did for them ...

/completely loony post

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
"except on the side of the President's thugs. " Allegedly the presidents thugs...

but in regards to the whole post, good for Egypt! I hope this turns out well for them. The muslim Brotherhood, I have heard several interviews on NPR with them and they sound like they have reformed. They want a piece of the gov't just like everyone else. Thats the problem over there, religion and gov't dont mix. Im not saying either is bad but beliefs and laws need to be seperate!

True. Very typical of the news cycle: once the prize has been obtained, the media tends to move onto the next story.

There's an idea for a new network. Create a network that follows up on the major stories for a few weeks (at least) after the fact.

While I'm not surprised, it is a shame that the military is taking such a drastic, ugly stand on the matter. Ideally, I'd leave all laws as is until a new government can be elected and sworn in- don't set a authoritarian precedent like this beforehand.

On a side note, I hear that Mubarak is in the hospital. Poor guy- he lost his power and now his health is failing (I'm being sarcastic). Believe it or not, I hope he pulls through so he can be made to account for his crimes over the past 30 years.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/04/12/egypt.mubarak.hospitalized/index.html?hpt=T2

I am all for these dictatorships being swept aside for a democratic led country but the transition process is awful in terms of loss of human life and suffering.

I just can't stomach some of the stories guys ...

I also agree the media sensationalises so much in these articles it is hard to get a clear picture.

On a final note i would like to encourage our Muslim users who know more about what is going on to post and give us more of their points of view.

As always we respect diversity here ... I drink turkish coffee ... just one cup mind you ... or I can't sleep ... :)

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
If thats what the people want......

But I think that fearmongering may be a better word for those two articles (second being the larger offender)

It even says that only a small minority want fundamentalist orthodoxy in the state.

I think this is more of a complicated issue than "This poll tell us *** has hit the fan and we all gonna die"

Anyone really savvy with Egypt and can interpret the results?

Yeah Old man ... you read far too much rubbish from the white supremacist redneck alfoil hat brigade.

These whackjobs are just as loony as the Jihadists.

/puts on a Barbara Streisand song and turns up the volume.

"Next time it will be Neil Diamond buddy" !!

:)

The same thing happened in Iraq and Afghanistan. The people voted for democracy as long as the laws did not conflict with the Quran and Shariah. And given the slightest chance, the hard core Islamists have demonstrated that they are willing to kill anyone who disagrees with them.

iggy, all the good thoughts in the world are not going to change that.

I am one of those conservatives who believes that Islam is incompatible with our Constitution and I really would like to restrict Muslim immigration to the U. S.

You want a look at what Muslim immigration will lead to? Google "malmo, sweden muslimn".

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Kind of like all the fundamentalists that tell people we are a Christian nation. Same thing here they are just telling the world we are a Muslim nation. And there should be nothing wrong with that.

Its not like the Westboro Baptist Church speaks for America just because he's American.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism#United_States

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8593975.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_of_God_(USA)

Yeah Christians in the US just behead you if...... You're black(Remember the KKK?) you have abortions or give abortions, if you're gay. Yep they seem almost as tolerant as Muslims oh yeah don't forget picketing dead soldiers funerals.

According to Wikipedia 60-75% of the US is Christian. And the point I was making was that America wasn't founded as a Christian Nation, it explicitly says that in the constitution. Besides I'm pretty sure the bible tolerates and in fact promotes murder, rape, slavery. But lets just cherry pick our info here and not be so open minded.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm - Crime rates in the US and remember that not just the "12%" of non-Christians. lets see if 10,639,369 crimes(Rape, murder, theft, etc) were committed in 2010 that means ~8511495 were committed by Christians. So i guess us being a mainly Christian nation has really saved us from those savages in the middle East......Now if we can only save ourselves.

But we can overlook that because they are Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.