Sign in with
Your question

Force Disc NOT TO EJECT ???

Last response: in Mac Os X
July 8, 2010 2:27:44 AM

When I insert my mac installation disc into my computer it spins for 5 seconds and then ejects before mounting on the desktop. Is there a terminal command (or program/application) to force the computer NOT TO EJECT and mount the disc on the desktop?

Also, it does this on system startup even if I hold down the " C " key.

P.S. I have Mac OS X 10.4.11 and I am trying to install Mac OS X 10.5 (leopard)

More about : force disc eject

July 8, 2010 6:42:28 AM

Have you tried the disk in another computer? It sounds like it might be dirty or damaged. Either that or there's a problem with your optical drive.
July 8, 2010 5:46:03 PM

Is your Mac a Intel based Mac? If not I dont believe you can install leopard, I could be wrong.
Related resources
July 8, 2010 6:51:00 PM

Quote:
Have you tried the disk in another computer? It sounds like it might be dirty or damaged. Either that or there's a problem with your optical drive.

Yes I have tried it in another computer. In that computer the disc doesn't eject, but instead nothing at all happens (again it still refuses to mount on the desktop). When I burned the ISO file to the dvd I had it verified, and after that I had it mount on the desktop. After burning, the disc verified and then it mounted on the desktop. However, when I eject the disc, it absolutely refuses to mount on every comuter I try it on. Any idea what's happening?

Quote:
Is your Mac a Intel based Mac? If not I dont believe you can install leopard, I could be wrong.

I have a PPC Mac. Leopard IS compatible with PPC Mac.

Thanks for the replies,
Ben

July 8, 2010 7:23:41 PM

As you say, Leopard is compatible with PPC. Obviously your disc is bad since it doesn't work in any computer.

But why do you have to burn an ISO to a DVD? I thought you could only buy OS X as physical media, not as a download.
July 8, 2010 10:26:42 PM

Quote:
I thought you could only buy OS X as physical media, not as a download.

I always backup all my purchased media (movies, games, Operating Systems) on my hard drive, just in case the disc gets scratched. Well, my Mac OS X 10.5 Install Disc got scratched and I am left with the ISO file on my computer (the reason that I am needing the install disc in the first place is because I recently bought a used computer and it has Mac OS X 10.4 installed on it).

Thanks,
Ben
July 8, 2010 11:44:54 PM

Burn the ISO at the slowest speed possible with your DVD writer. This is always good practice as the slower speeds will almost certainly have lower error rates.
Also spend a bit of money on your DVDR's. Dont get cheap ones from Lidl!
July 28, 2010 3:36:14 AM

ben52646 said:
Quote:
I thought you could only buy OS X as physical media, not as a download.

I always backup all my purchased media (movies, games, Operating Systems) on my hard drive, just in case the disc gets scratched. Well, my Mac OS X 10.5 Install Disc got scratched and I am left with the ISO file on my computer (the reason that I am needing the install disc in the first place is because I recently bought a used computer and it has Mac OS X 10.4 installed on it).

Thanks,
Ben

When you make exact copies of originals you have to be careful the options you chose. It seems the only one that has worked for me is the .cdr option so far (I tried Roxio Toast and Disk Utility). I made copies of my OS 8 and OS 9 discs a long time ago in .img format when I upgraded to OS X, then I sold them off eBay because I needed the money at the time. I figure I may never need them again, since I kept my 8500/180 and G3 333. Well guess what, out of both, neither worked, and I had to somehow create a new image and blessed the System Folder because that was lost, only one worked after the setup and I had tons of problems when I tried to run in Sheepshaver. So basically if you don't make several copies in different formats you're toast. This seems like a waste, but to make sure you should always test the disc and make sure your Mac can boot from it, before you decide to stop trying. I wish I knew that =/

Sorry, I think it's time to buy a new one :(  Check eBay and see what you can find!
!