Build my WC loop!

DoomsWord89

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Hello!

I have recently begun to do a bit of "tinkering" with water cooling kits and I feel as though I have the proper know how to assemble one myself. However, I do not have the vast knowledge of components and brands and that's where you come in. I would like very much to obtain the parts to build my own 120mm water cooling solution so that my CPU will never get too hot and bothered.

I would very much appreciate you posting your recommendations for my loop and the components that make it up. The budget for said loop will be 200USD and all parts should be readily available from North American retailers.

I would like to avoid pre-assembled (closed loop) kits!

Links to the suggested products will be much appreciated!

GFRY

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
200$ for making your own WC loop seems a little optimistic to me personally. A decent quality radiator and pump alone could set you back over 120, which is being pretty generous IMHO. Throw in a waterblock that won't disgrace whatever it touches, that will probably bring you over 200 already (this is not even including fittings, tubing, or potential reservoirs and alternative coolants than tap water). I may just be out of it right now but 200$ probably won't get you what you are imagining for a decent quality custom loop :( Sorry, I realize this isn't exactly answering what you asked for, athough you will primarily need a pump, radiator (and fans to cool it), tubing, fittings (like barbs or compression fittings), a CPU waterblock, and not as necessarily a reservoir (with cheapness in mind). Make sure all of the fittings match the diameter of the tubing you choose, and make sure the tubing matches the diameters of more significant parts that might not have replacable fittings. Other than that, I can't really think what else you need to know... It'll probably come down to mixing and matching stuff you find with your price range more than looking for particular brand names or following specific item recommendations from people (my advice would be just reading reviews or comments on an item you are in doubt of). Hope this helped :)

-GFRY

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You can find a MCP355 and some 655's around for $60 or so...MCP220 rad will run you around $35-$40. Toss in a CPU block for $50-$60 and you have a loop. You really only need a T-line to fill/bleed, or you can find a micro res or a pump top/res for $20-$30 to use as a res.

$200 is easy for a CPU only loop...just have to be creative, it just depends on what your expectations are and willingness to shop around.

It's easier to get parts cheaper on forums. AnandTech and [H]ardForum are usually bustling with activity, and I was able to pick up almost everything in my loop for a good price.

$200 is definitely doable for a CPU-only loop; my CPU+GPU loop was about $400 when all was said and done.