GTX 275, XFX vs MSI

da_park91

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Right now I'm in the process of buying graphic cards (two of them) from newegg.
I'm buying GTX 275, and I ran across two options that seemed decent.

XFX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150387
MSI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127429&Tpk=MSI%20275

Even though MSI has better fans and is factory OC, it costs less than the XFX card which uses default clock speeds.
Is there any reason to not get MSI? I am aware that XFX has lifetime warranty and MSI has 3 year warranty,
but to be honest I won't be using these cards for more than 3 years.. (probably three years but barely any longer).

Side question: will these fit in my antec 300 with asus p6t?
Side Side question: is corsair 750 tx enough for i7 920 with these two cards? (not much else; one internal HDD, a couple of external HDD... case fans.. thats about it)
Side Side Side question (sorry): if you had 40 extra bucks, would you get the Noctua cooler instead of Scythe Mugen 2, or a better case (i.e. antec 300 to 900) or a better keyboard (ten dollar logitech keyboard to razer gaming keyboard)?

You seem to have a small aircraft hanger for a case with as many fans as Manchester United and the one motherboard that I have seen that seems to have a sensible SLI/CF layout, with the cards nicely seperated.
Despite my total loathing of the coolers, I think you will be just fine with the MSI cards.

Side reply: I think the stock card is 10.5" long but count on needing 11" free inside the case...Time to get out the tape measure;)

Side side reply: Yes, right Amperage, right connectors and right quality.

It's SLI for you, but the 'board supports both.
It's not the fans I dislike, but the way the cooler dumps its heat inside the case, only those like yourself with large, superbly ventilated cases can use them safely.
Those of us with smaller enclosures have problems with heat build up under the card because it's very tricky to get the air under them to create decent circulation.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished

For the $10 difference, I'd get the XFX. I'm confident that the XFX card can overclock higher than the MSI factory overclocked card. I have an XFX GTX 260 and GTX 250 that both overclock quite well. My MSI 9800 GTs and 8800GTS 320 mb didn't overclock well.