boom-dizzle

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I'm putting a new system together and it's been a few years since my last build.
I've been buying pieces here and there for the past few weeks, basically everything that was on sale.

The last piece I needed to acquire was a video card.
I met up with a friend today and he gave me his barely used ATI 2900XT.

With the tech behind this video card over a 2 years old, will it be a bottleneck in my new build?

What I have so far:

Case: Cooler Master CM690 and plenty of fans
Power Supply: Corsair 750W
CPU: Intel i7 920 / D0 Stepping
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8
RAM: 6GB of OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 1333MHz / XMP Ready
Motherboard: Asus P6TSE
Hard Drive: Seagate 500GB 7200rpm (I plan to upgrade to SSD when the price is right)
Moniter: Hanns-G 28" 1080p LCD

Please let me know what you think of adding the 2900XT to the system above. I'm hoping to OC the i7 to 3.2ghz. Will having the older video card present any problems (first time overclocker here)?

Also, I'm not a hardcore gamer (casual CS player), but I do want to be able to run Diablo III at max settings once it comes out. If the 2900XT won't do that, can you recommend a card that will?

The 2900XT is some what a decent card...but it gives out lot of heat and it doesn't have a good performance/ power consumption...

If you want a cheap yet decent alternative, then the 4850 would be very good...You can find them for about $100 now...
But as Outlander said, first try out that card and then change it...

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
why are you worried about playing a game that will not come out for another year at least? use the card you have now, and then upgrade to a card that will crush DIII nearer to the release date. the rest of your system will be perfectly fine at that time.