Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD worth using as a boot drive in my situation?

Last response: in Storage
April 3, 2011 2:04:39 AM

I rarely turn off my computer, really only restart for updates or if software is glitching out. It will be a bit before I get one, but when I do would it be better to just get a smaller one and only put programs on it, or is there any advantage other than boot time in having the SSD as my primary? I mainly use the computer for gaming/web browsing, so the main thing I'm looking for is faster load times for games, and of course stability.
a c 143 G Storage
April 3, 2011 2:57:20 AM

A SSD has a huge advantage in load times of both OS & Programs / Games. If you are looking to speed up your load times, a SSD is the way to go... IMO. To get this benefit, you need to run the programs from the SSD & not a mechanical drive. In other words, it is well worth it, as long as you meet your capacity requirements for Your system.
m
l
April 3, 2011 3:41:59 AM

tecmo34 said:
A SSD has a huge advantage in load times of both OS & Programs / Games. If you are looking to speed up your load times, a SSD is the way to go... IMO. To get this benefit, you need to run the programs from the SSD & not a mechanical drive. In other words, it is well worth it, as long as you meet your capacity requirements for Your system.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean. Either way I'll be getting an SSD (Eventually), but will using it for the OS boot make much of a difference in individual programs or could I boot from a slower drive and just install the programs on the SSD? I don't care how fast the actual OS runs, just that actual games, browser, etc run fast and run smoothly (No errors/crashing).
m
l
Related resources
a c 290 G Storage
April 3, 2011 1:02:33 PM

You have a very interesting question and a different viewpoint. However, I see you mentioned games and web browsing.

When it comes to web browsers a solid state drive will not improve anything. You are totally at the mercy of the Internet Service Provider, web hosts, and all the Internet conecction points around the world. A solid state drive will not improve anything you do on the world wide web.

A game installed in a solid state drive will start up faster. If while playing a game you need to consult a map or chart, they should load faster. That's about it. SSD's do not improve fps or graphic details. SSD's will not guarantee smooth, error free, stutter free, crash free game play.
m
l
a b G Storage
April 3, 2011 7:48:42 PM

SSD makes everything you do feel faster due to extremely low latency and MUCH better multitasking ability and is the greatest perceived advantage. Boot times and all the rest is secondary due to the limited amount of time you spend doing it. All of the people I've seen move from HDD to SSD have said they wished they'd have done it earlier even if the price was higher. It's really that good.
m
l
a c 290 G Storage
April 3, 2011 8:43:15 PM

groberts101 - "feel faster" and "perceived advantage". You forgot to mention "snappy". I see that one quite often. None of them are very specific.
m
l
a c 143 G Storage
April 3, 2011 8:54:13 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
You have a very interesting question and a different viewpoint. However, I see you mentioned games and web browsing.

When it comes to web browsers a solid state drive will not improve anything. You are totally at the mercy of the Internet Service Provider, web hosts, and all the Internet conecction points around the world. A solid state drive will not improve anything you do on the world wide web.

A game installed in a solid state drive will start up faster. If while playing a game you need to consult a map or chart, they should load faster. That's about it. SSD's do not improve fps or graphic details. SSD's will not guarantee smooth, error free, stutter free, crash free game play.

^+1...

This is what I was trying to say originally but obviously didn't come out to clearly based on your comment below

Nakkiel said:
I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
m
l
a c 115 G Storage
April 3, 2011 9:01:06 PM

As the other skeleton faced guy said :) , it's more perceived performance than anything else. If you're asking for example, if it's going to improve your productivity, it's a big NO unless you're doing CS5, 3D rendering and the like.

Here's what I mean ... the Intel 510 is currently the fastest drive ya can buy ... toasts the old X25's toasts the C300, toasts just about everything except the Vertex 3's. Watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1lFXGpMDf4

The old tech HD takes 44 seconds to load Starcraft
The latest and greatest Intel 510 takes 66 seconds.

i dunno about you but if that's what I am dealing with, I'm starting the load and then:

a) taking a bio so I don't have to break later
b) hitting the kitchen to grab a coffee and snack supply

Either way, by time I come back, the load is done.

Same thing at the office .... does it matter if your word processor loads in 4.4 seconds or 6.6 seconds ? I click the icon to open it and then I'm grabbing the letter I have to edit and scanning the corrections .... by the time I look back at the screen, the keyboard's waiting for me regardless of whether there's an SSD or HD in there.

m
l
a c 290 G Storage
April 3, 2011 9:36:54 PM

HEY JACK! Ya still there?

Got any more practical information about ssd's and CS5? Links? Other than launching CS5 in 3 to 4 seconds most of the practical information is hard to find. I already scoped out the Adobe Photoshop forums and dozens of other sites. They never say much about actual performance while editing photos.
m
l
April 3, 2011 10:47:15 PM

Ok.. maybe I'm just not very clear on exactly what I'm asking. I already have an idea of what to expect from a SSD's overall performance, just not specifically whether using it as a boot drive will affect game load times. I know games store some files in the users folder (which is on the boot drive) and am not sure if many use other files stored on the boot drive.

Just to give an example, say I install windows on a 7200 RPM standard drive. I then install Starcraft 2 on an SSD. Will SC2 start as quickly as if both were installed on the SSD, and if not what would be the performance difference?
m
l

Best solution

a c 290 G Storage
April 4, 2011 1:51:19 AM

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to your question for certain. It seems to me Windows would be doing a lot of things in the background while someone is playing a game or doing something else. It is all hidden from view.
April 8, 2011 12:43:05 AM

Well thanks for trying to help i guess. I'm kind of surprised nobody on here has tried it with how much space it would save, but w/e.
m
l
April 8, 2011 12:43:51 AM

Best answer selected by Nakkiel.
m
l
!