CPU Pentium D820 2.8 Ghz and GeForce 9800 GT

SpaiCk

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Hi, thanks in advance to everyone who help me out here.

I have a Pentium D820 2.8Ghz with a MotherBoard RC410-M (Asterope3) [It's an HP Media Center].

And I was thinking about to get a video card for it, so i was between GeForce 9800 GT 1GB and HD4850 1GB, but at the very end I asked myself if my CPU won't bottleneck or won't be worth the "good" video card with my PC.

So, what do you think? (I know i need a better PC now xD but I won't build any until next year by April). So i wanted a med-end video card for my PC in the mean while.

Thanks.

Solution

There are three things to consider in getting a new video card for that computer. The first is that your power supply most likely isn't very large and won't have enough power to feed a...

There are three things to consider in getting a new video card for that computer. The first is that your power supply most likely isn't very large and won't have enough power to feed a higher-end GPU, so you need to look for something that isn't too power-hungry. Also, you are not going to be able to overclock the Pentium D in that HP motherboard and thus the Pentium D is largely going to limit your system's performance rather than the graphics card. Lastly, many OEM systems like HPs are little micro-ATX towers and you probably can't put a full-length GPU inside very easily if at all.

I would recommend something like the Radeon HD 4670 or even an HD 4650 (GDDR3 version- the DDR2 version is not nearly as good) for you. They are shorter-length cards that should fit easily in the case, they don't draw a whole lot of power, and they will still be more GPU than the Pentium D 820 can keep fed on a regular basis. These cards are also about a third to half of the price as a 9800GT 1 GB or an HD 4850 1 GB.

Solution

SpaiCk

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
I'm running my system in 1680x1050, since the motherboard has a chipset Radeon Xpress 200 x2 I can manage to play games and do certain stuff.

I'm going to play most of games out there (maybe) of course I'll not even try Crysis or any other game like that I know my PC won't even load. I use a site called "Can you run it?" to check if the game I'm about to get/play is going to run in my system, most of time i fit the minimum requirements and sometimes I don't just because I don't have any video card.

Thanks alot everyone for your help I really appreciate your time, then I'm going to look forward those cards, and yeah I forgot to tell about the Power Supply, it's just 300 W as max and the tower it's a micro-ATX.

P.S. I edited the reply since I didn't see the reply before mine.

pepperman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I have a PD system @ 3.73 GHz paired with an 8800 GT, and many of the games I play on it are slightly bottlenecked. Keep in mind a PD @ 3.6 is equivalent to a core 2 duo @ 1.8. You should probably stick to a 4650/4670, unless you want to upgrade your whole system.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
So unless you're going to change the psu, you're better off sticking with the 4670. Though with 1680x1050 you can't really expect the 4670 to do well, you'd either need to dial down settings or resolution in some modern games.

Upgrading both the PSU and video card on the other hand might start you to think more of buying a whole new system, because you'd already be spending quite a bit of money.

SpaiCk

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
Thanks for your replies, I'm buying the 4670 to use it in the mean while I manage to build a new system, the thing is that here in Mexico every hardware that is reliable to get like the new and high end stuff are worth x3 times the regular price you get in US.

So I need to start saving money in order to get it from US in a single buy (Tower, Motherboard, PSU, vid card, power supply, HD, and all the basic stuff) when I happen to be shopping there in some point next year.

Again thanks everyone for your time and advices aswell those that might be posted after this reply.

This is certainly an awesome site that I found out while looking forward charts of video cards.