Sign in with
Your question

Do I Need A New Motherboard?

Last response: in CPUs
October 9, 2009 5:31:19 AM

I have a nice computer, but unfortunately my q6600 is running only at 1.6Ghz, because of the multiplier, 6 :fou:  . My motherboard is underclocking it, and the bios is crap. Should i upgrade? and if so what kind of motherboard should i get?I was thinking an Evga 790i. My motherboard is a DD33SXG2. (or a Gateway GM5478 Motherboard...Cheap :cry:  )

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=757181

I would like it to at least run at a constant 2.4 Ghz, but the only time it is there is when a program opens up, and then it jumps back down to 1.6. If i get a new mobo, ill overclock it to 2.8 with watercooling... :bounce: 
Thanks in Advance for all help :D  :D  :D 

One more thing.. I have Vista Ultimate 64 Bit, and 5Gb Ram. It only recognizes 4...Why?

More about : motherboard

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 9, 2009 6:32:26 AM

Hmm.. This is expected behaviour, if a little feature called SpeedStep is enabled. In theory, your CPU will idle at a lower clock when not under load, but will ramp up to its full 2.4GHz when heavily taxed.

If you don't want or need this capability, look for the speedstep option in your BIOS and switch it off. You'll need to do this if you want to overclock anyway, and it may save you the price of an upgrade.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
October 9, 2009 1:16:12 PM

CODRYY said:

I would like it to at least run at a constant 2.4 Ghz, but the only time it is there is when a program opens up, and then it jumps back down to 1.6. If i get a new mobo, ill overclock it to 2.8 with watercooling...

You can turn SpeedStep off, but why bother. Right now, if you do not need the speed, you are saving energy.

Actually Herr_Koos is sort of wrong. Leaving SpeedStep enabled does not prevent overclocking. I have a Q6600 running at 3.3 GHz (367 MHz X 9) with SpeedStep enabled. Under light loads, it loafs along at 2.2 GHz.

The usual method to overclocking a Core2 is to turn SpeedStep off, achieve a stable overclock, and then, if you wish, enable SpeedStep again.

You shouldn't need a new motherboard. And for 2.8 GHz, you don't need watercooling either. The stock heatsink will be fine up to 3.0 GHz (333 MHz X 9) or so. Anything higher and you will need better cooling though.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
October 10, 2009 7:03:17 PM

run the comp with one stick of RAM at a time u may have a bad stick
m
l
!