Eed info about LGA 1366 mainboard

ady14218

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
I am looking for a motherboard that support dual i7 CPU. anyone have any idea? I know there are some that support Xeon (LGA 1366) but I am not sure if I can use it for i7 even though the socket is the same. I read something somewhere that it might damage cpu and the main. The other thing is that i am not sure if it is better to buy dual i7 main and cpu or dual xeon main and cpu. Got no idea about how big is the difference between xeon and i7. appreciated if you could give me some info.

Solution
Look for dual socket 1366 motherboards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200302%201071346469&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

Make sure that you carefully check and understand the specifications, e.g., the motherboard size (Extended ATX or SSI EEB) to ensure that your workstation/server case can accept it without modifications, the number of memory slots, the number and type of PCIe slots, PSU requirements, etc. I would also recommend buying ECC server memory modules for optimal stability.

If you require more than 2 Intel Xeon CPUs (Xeon 7400 Series), you'll have to get a server or workstation from HP, Dell or IBM. Newegg.com sell a few quad socket Opteron...
Look for dual socket 1366 motherboards: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200302%201071346469&bop=And&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=RATING

Make sure that you carefully check and understand the specifications, e.g., the motherboard size (Extended ATX or SSI EEB) to ensure that your workstation/server case can accept it without modifications, the number of memory slots, the number and type of PCIe slots, PSU requirements, etc. I would also recommend buying ECC server memory modules for optimal stability.

If you require more than 2 Intel Xeon CPUs (Xeon 7400 Series), you'll have to get a server or workstation from HP, Dell or IBM. Newegg.com sell a few quad socket Opteron motherboards, but they don't seem to support the latest Opteron processors, making them uncompetitive against dual Nehalem motherboards. Personnally I would consider buying a workstation instead of building it myself, but that's a personal preference. Building a system that matches the specs/performance of an HP Z800 Workstation isn't necessarily easy.

Solution